The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Chinese Lanterns

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Chinese lantern???| Next thread: Chinese Lanterns »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on September 21, 2006 02:42 AM
My memory certainly seems faulty. My chinese lantern has one orange seed pod on it. And there is a rip in it. Imagine my suprise when I looked in there and there was an orange ball shaped thing in there. Now the "lantern" is still attached to the plant. My question is if the ball shaped thing in the middle is where the seeds are forming? For some reason I don't remember there being a second shape inside the lanterns. I could just be getting old. The memories I'm accessing are like 40 years ago lol.

Can someone help me out on this?

-
 -
by TulsaRose on September 21, 2006 05:01 AM
Tammy, I'm in the same boat you are...I can't remember squat. [nutz] I haven't grown Chinese Lantern in years but to the best of my memory, that little orange ball is the berry that later becomes the seed when dried.

Without knowing for sure what you have growing, I wouldn't recommend trying this but, if you are growing a non-poisonous type, those berries are edible. Another name for them is Cape Gooseberry, Physalis peruviana.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by netty on September 21, 2006 05:02 AM
Yup, that ball is where the seeds are forming! It's something I guess you really wouldn't notice unless the pod is ripped.

-
 -
by weezie13 on September 21, 2006 06:29 AM
Tammy,
Think of that orange ball as a cherry tomato..
There's about 100 seeds inside..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on September 21, 2006 08:16 PM
That is so cool. I'll have to watch it very carefully so I can capture the seeds. I'd like to take them with me when I move.

Thanks for the information. I was totally confused lol.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Chinese lantern???| Next thread: Chinese Lanterns »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: