The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hostas

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Hostapictures from this summer| Next thread: Hostas »
Back to Thread index
by ConnieL71 on April 27, 2004 07:46 PM
I have a border of hostas that my grandfather grew for me from a hosta in his yard. They are approximately 7 or 8 years old. They are very large now and have self-seeded into smaller plants that are growing around them. Do I need to divide them? I would love to able to do this and give some away to friends, as well as give them the new plants. If I do need to divide them, when should I do this? I live in Georgia, zone 8, where it is very hot from about mid-April to mid-October or November, and the hostas have occasionally lasted into December before returning at the end of February or beginning of March.
by Chrissy on April 27, 2004 08:34 PM
Hi [wayey] I am a zone 5, but I do occasionally divide my hostas so I can move them to other parts of my garden. I usually do my dividing in late fall, when they have died back.

-
 -
z5b
by Bestofour on April 28, 2004 03:49 AM
I live in Monroe, NC zone 7b. I divide and move my hosta in early spring, before April 15th, or at the end of summer a few weeks before it's supposed to get too cold. Just make sure you keep them watered. They will multipy back out so you can divide as much as you want.

By the way. Your grandfather is very sweet.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hostapictures from this summer| Next thread: Hostas »
Back to Thread index