The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Watermelon-I'm a dope

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Watermelon Woes| Next thread: watermelons »
Back to Thread index
by MaryReboakly on August 19, 2005 01:08 PM
I composted watermelon seeds. Okay, correction - I did NOT compost the seeds ...I dumped them into my compost [Roll Eyes] [Embarrassed] - yes I take full responsibility - but they did not compost, for obvious reasons!

So, today (here it comes) I had lots of cute little watermelon seedlings sprouting in my compost heap! [Big Grin]

My question is, what's the probability if I take a few of these and plant them now, that I'll get something edible before the first frost? I have no idea what kind of watermelon it was - a yummy one - so, do I have a chance? I read that it takes between 70-85 days from seed to harvest, which would bring me to mid october...if we steer clear of a frost by then, will it make it?

Thanks! [Smile] [Confused]

-
 -
by Longy on August 19, 2005 02:30 PM
Mary, can you leave one to grow at the base of the compost heap. if it has full sun there it will love it and you're gonna need speedy growth, maybe once you get a few fruit set, pinch off the rest so the plant can put all the effort into the earlier fruit. You could also protect a smaller vine from frost with a cover if it gets cold. Irrespective of that though, cucurbit vines are great green additive to the compost, esp if you put them thru a lawn mower first. So grow 'em just for that. Any fruit is a bonus.

-
The secret is the soil.
by MaryReboakly on August 20, 2005 01:55 AM
holy h#ll longy, I didn't even think about growing it just for the compost heap. You're a genius. Yeah, the heap gets sun in the afternoon for about 6 hours. I'm thinkin about moving my pallet creation now every week or so, as I'm turning the compost - it's doing a great job of breaking up the soil below it, so I figure if I do that around the perimiter of the yard, I'll have great planting space. because of it. An added benefit. So, I'll plant the seedlings in the old compost spot.

Thanks,
Sheila

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Watermelon Woes| Next thread: watermelons »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: