The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Can't wait until spring

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Can't catch the devils| Next thread: Can this be true? »
Back to Thread index
by chermoni on September 16, 2006 04:09 AM
I found this really great web site that has a great variety of bulbs at really good prices. I just ordered over 70 bulbs. [flower] I may have gone a little over board, we'll see. I'm just so excited to be finally putting together an outdoor garden! I also ordered some hostas for my shade area. I can't wait until I can dig in! [grin]

-
 -

Cheryl's Photobucket
My journal

Yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.
by Bestofour on September 16, 2006 07:55 AM
You can never go over board with bulbs!! [clappy]

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by patches1414 on September 16, 2006 04:27 PM
Oh, I wholeheartedly agree, Sheri! [thumb] There's just no way you can ever have too many bulbs! [Big Grin] [Wink] Geesh, they always put on such a beautiful display, especially, the spring flowering ones! [Smile] What a breath of fresh air they are after the long winter months! [Smile] I just wish they would stick around a little longer. [Frown]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by TulsaRose on September 16, 2006 06:35 PM
There's nothing like uncovering that first bunch of Crocus in the spring to make a gardener's heart immediately feel lighter! [Wink]
 -

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by roflol on September 17, 2006 12:11 AM
LOL, Rosie: That picture looks like mother nature saying "I'm baaaaaaaack!"

[Wink]
by TulsaRose on September 17, 2006 01:35 AM
I know...it seems like I always stumble across the little sweet things when I am so blue and sick of being shut up in the house, I could scream. I spend hours, staring out the kitchen window and watching dead leaves blowing everywhere and wonder if Spring will ever come...then I catch a glimpse of purple or gold peeking out and I make a mad dash outside to be sure my eyes aren't deceiving me. [Wink] and there they are...just waiting for me to get all those darned Sycamore leaves off of them so they can put on their annual show. Gotta love 'em!!!

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by ND farm girl on September 17, 2006 02:27 AM
chermoni - what was the website you found?

PattyM
by chermoni on September 17, 2006 02:30 AM
http://michiganbulb.com/

I got about 70 or so bulbs plus 9 hostas and I only spent $40, which included shipping. Seemed like a good deal to me. I've never bought bulbs before but I've been looking and they seemed to have really good prices and a better variety than what I've been able to find in the stores out here.

-
 -

Cheryl's Photobucket
My journal

Yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.
by CajunMama on September 17, 2006 09:38 AM
chermoni,
I've ordered from their catalog, and I do agree that they have a nice selection of bulbs! I absolutely love bulbs! I have a swamp lily that I got from my mom, but want to get more, and I think I need to look at that site to see if they have any.

Good luck with your bulbs!

Rosie,
What zone are you in? And do you know if crocus would grow in z8-9? I've always LOVED their beautiful pictures, but I've never tried to grow them because I thought they were a northern bulb, kinda like tulips...do you know if tulips would grow down here? I've never been brave enough to try them because I thought they needed much colder temps. Your picture is amazing. It looks as if it should be in a magazine or a piece of artwork! [thumb]

-
CajunMama
"Sing praises to the Lord..." Psalm 9:11
by angelblossom on September 17, 2006 11:41 AM
CajunMama I'm in Zone 8 and I put in tulips and crocus and they both came up I found I buried some of them too deep discovering I didn't need too Because it doesn't get that cold here in the Dallas area The same year I planted they came up and bloomed  - as you can see i planted too deep for our mild winters [dunno] [Big Grin] It was my first year with bulbs soo Live and learn! This year I won't bury sooo deep, I didn't take any of them out but I will plant more in the fall

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by TulsaRose on September 17, 2006 09:45 PM
Cajun, as an experiment, buy a bag of Crocus bulbs at Wally World or somewhere...they are cheap, cheap, cheap. I just don't know if your winters are cold enough to provide them their necessary dormant requirements but, heck, nothing ventured, nothing gained is my motto. [grin]

I would even do the same thing with Tulip bulbs as they are usually reasonably priced at WalMart. Like Angel said...just don't plant as deeply as recommended on the instructions for more northern zones.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by CajunMama on September 18, 2006 04:11 AM
thanx ladies, I think I'll go ahead a try crocus and tulips. I've always loved them, but never have tried. As far as getting them at Wally World, I don't think I've ever seen any crocus...once in a blue moon I have seen some tulips, but I'll look around for them. Again, Thanx! [angel]

-
CajunMama
by TulsaRose on September 18, 2006 05:18 AM
At Wally World, look for the Crocus to be packaged in bags or boxes. There is usually a display stand with all sorts of bulbs. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with them as they are such pretty little things. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by comfrey on September 20, 2006 09:58 AM
I have some little yellow crocus that I traded for last fall and I was thrilled when they bloomed early this spring or rather late winter. I felt just like you did Rosie, I ran right out there and moved all the leaves away from the little blooms and it felt so good! [Big Grin]

-
 -
by neko nomad on September 20, 2006 10:37 AM
After the snow goes away here, the early crocuses give the only color in the garden, and believe me, they sure do provide sweet relief for the eyes:

-

-- click picture to enlarge
by TulsaRose on September 20, 2006 08:00 PM
Thanks to the early spring bulbs blooming and the Amaryllis and St. Joseph's Lily in the house, I regain my senses before I do something drastic like committing Hari Kari. [Big Grin]
 -

I love that picture, neko. [Wink] It's right at that stage when you've got the beds ready and everything is getting ready to explode that you have to really appreciate Mother Nature. [clappy]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by flycats on September 21, 2006 10:21 PM
Definitely tulips can be grown...I'm in zone 9, California valley. I think there are some that are better for zones 8 and 9. I usually have to replant them every year but last year they came back! fun fun fun! Here they are ready to unfold.
 -

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.
by gailo on September 22, 2006 08:20 PM
Oh that reminds me of when I lived in Fresno, CA, I planted tulips, daffodils, windflowers and those bulbs that smell like a skunk (I can't remember the name)and they all bloomed beautifully. But they didn't come back the next year, I had to plant new bulbs.

gailo
by weezie13 on September 22, 2006 09:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by gailo:
Oh that reminds me of when I lived in Fresno, CA, I planted tulips, daffodils, windflowers and those bulbs that smell like a skunk (I can't remember the name)and they all bloomed beautifully. But they didn't come back the next year, I had to plant new bulbs.
Usually those flowers that you mentioned above need some kind of cold time or chilling period to re~bloom... and that maybe why they didn't come back up for you....

But they can be grown as annuals..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on September 22, 2006 09:49 PM
I think the skunk smelling one you refered to might be the paper whites. But it's just a possibility. I've heard that some people don't like the smell.

About planting these bulbs in warmer climates. Could they be lifted and stored in the refrigerator for the winter to give them the cold spell they like? It's just a thought. I know I couldn't rebuy every year.

What keeps me sane so far is being able to start my seeds indoor right after christmas. Since I probably won't have gardening space next year I plant to do starter plants for all the ladies I know who do have gardens.

It's one of those where there is a will there is a way lol.

-
 -
by CajunMama on September 23, 2006 06:46 AM
Hmmmm.....I think I might try that refrigerator idea with the cold-loving bulbs like crocus or tulips. I'd hate to have to buy them each year as annuals. That is very interesting...and an experiment in the making.... [lala]

-
CajunMama
by weezie13 on September 24, 2006 12:17 AM
Yep, if you've got the room for them in the fridge/freezer you can do it...
*I personally haven't done this, but
have read you can.*

It's like us up here not being able to grow a gladiola or a dahlia.. and we have to pull it in,
so the concept is in the same way, sorta..

If you do do this, will you keep us posted [critic] and let us know the outcome [gabby] That's how we all learn [teacher] and if it came out good [angel] or bad [devil] ??? [thumb]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by angelblossom on September 24, 2006 12:48 AM
Last year I bought Bulbs in Dec and put in refridg planted in Middle of jan and they came up in march I just recieved bulbs from Lynne I already put them in refridge I'll take out in 6 weeks and plant then Last year was a little late for planting But they came up( last year was first for bulbs) actually I planted too deep for Texas this year won't be as deep so I'm on year two of experimenting [lala] Live and learn!!

-
 -
by weezie13 on September 24, 2006 01:03 AM
My guess would be though, if you got them from
Lynne, they'd already be chilled from last winter.
But only she can answer that for sure....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by angelblossom on September 24, 2006 01:53 AM
HMMMMM never thought about that Weezie Good point I'll ask her! Thanks [kissies]

-
 -
by weezie13 on September 24, 2006 02:05 AM
Let us know what she said... [thumb] [thumb]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by angelblossom on September 24, 2006 03:50 AM
quote:
Originally posted by weezie13:
Let us know what she said... [thumb]
This is a new box of "bunchflowering" tulips.. so they will be refridgerated as I did last year [thumb]

-
 -
by weezie13 on September 24, 2006 03:55 AM
okay, like it came from somewheres else?

Usually those, if boughten elsewhere from a store/catalog/etc.. they are all pre~refridgerated though??

Try a test, chill some, just do some straight planting and see if one does better than the other...
[dunno] [dunno] [dunno]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by angelblossom on September 24, 2006 04:05 AM
Well I'm all for experimenting ... the ones I bought last year some came from a catalog I just put in the fridge with the others & planted in order of time spent on fridge 6 weeks for all 85% got planted at the same time the rest about 6 days later then the store had some after that 75% off I put straight into the ground some of those came up and some didn't! I'll mark this time where I planted the ones straight into the ground and where I planted the refrid'ed ones, and compare K?

-
 -
by weezie13 on September 24, 2006 04:30 AM
[thumb] [clappy]
Sounds great..
You know how I love experiments.... [Cool]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Can't catch the devils| Next thread: Can this be true? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: