The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

cucumbers

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: cucumbers| Next thread: Cucumbers »
Back to Thread index
by ladybug67 on August 18, 2005 10:55 AM
I was wondering if someone could help me, i was wondering when the cucumber plant is all done. Mine is starting to die out and they are slow in growing out still a bit round and fat. Its seams like they are growing slower like this. Thanks and help would be great. My cantolpe plant is doning fine i have about three, two of which is soon ready to pick. Oh and the tomatoes are taking a long time ripening too. I'm new to gardening. thanks again dee [flower]

being a mom is the best job their is and hardest too!!! lol
by Longy on August 18, 2005 02:10 PM
When you say round and fat, do you mean they are not forming into longer, even shaped fruit but are tapered at the end? This is a potash deficiency and often happens toward the end of the season when growing cucurbits. Sounds like the nights may be cooling down a bit and the days getting a bit shorter ladybug? Once it slows down enough there will be few or no embryo fruit forming on the cucumber vine. You can call it quits anytime you like, but i tend to just rip them out so i can start preparing the bed for the next crop. The vine put thru the lawnmower is great for a compost additive. Maybe it's time for some peas or beans to go in where you are? Till the soil, apply some lime or dolomite and maybe fertilise and get it producing again is my suggestion. The tomatoes being slow to ripen also suggests the season is slowing. Even though i'm sure the days are still hot. Say goodbye to summer. She's on her way out. [wayey]

-
The secret is the soil.
by ladybug67 on August 18, 2005 11:27 PM
Well, thank you Longy, i know it's been a long time since i gardened last over ten years so that was what i was thinking. Yes the fruit was not getting long that was the word i just couldn't think of it lol.I have tomatoe plants that are on my porch and they are going up but no flowers i think they are cherry tomatoes so i guess it's to late for them to grow fruit on them. Does any one know if its to late for the squash to grow now?
I have on plant summer/yellow but only got one fruit from it. I have a few zuccnini plants but not sure if it's to late for them??? well i guess i will plant some pea since i do before and now know it was to early too and they died lol thanks again dee

being a mom is the best job their is and hardest too!!! lol

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: cucumbers| Next thread: Cucumbers »
Back to Thread index