The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bird trouble

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Bird sleeping in towel| Next thread: Bird-of-Paradise »
Back to Thread index
by DCBadger7 on April 29, 2004 05:32 PM
My wife and I live in an apartment in the DC area. We live on the 3rd floor and have a wonderful porch with south/southeast exposure.

We planted last weekend - one medium-sized planting box with various herbs and one box of red & green peppers, along with a few pots of flowers.

We discovered this morning that our planting boxes with the herbs and pepper plants had basically been destroyed by birds. We plant to re-plant this weekend.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to protect our modest little garden? Thanks in advance!
by Jiffymouse on April 29, 2004 08:17 PM
[wayey] hi dcbadger [wayey] welcome to the garden helper. i have 2 or 3 ideas, but you will get more before the week is out i am sure.

idea one is to make a scare crow of sorts using the pinwheels you get at the store for about a dollar. they usually are shiney and birds don't like the noise or the flashing lights. ditto adding some wind chimes to your porch.

second, get some netting like they use to protect fruit trees from birds and build a "cage" over your plants. the sun and rain will still get in, but the birds won't.

3rd put out some used cd's that you would otherwise throw away on strings. same idea as the pin wheels.

good luck and let us know how you make out!
by afgreyparrot on April 29, 2004 09:41 PM
Catch the birds and send them to me.
I'll take 'em!

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bird sleeping in towel| Next thread: Bird-of-Paradise »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: