The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Fall Gardening tips?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: fall flower planting| Next thread: fall hollyhock planting »
Back to Thread index
by spiedee on September 11, 2006 09:23 AM
Im moving into our new house oct 1st and would like to begin....

Id love to have color and texture all year..which basic plants and flowers should i begin with ? Im in zone 8b!

Ive read Black eyed Susans are pretty good...i like purple foliage too....any help would be great! [Smile]

Stevie
by LandOfOz on September 11, 2006 10:19 AM
Welcome to the forum! [wavey] Ajuga has a pretty purple foliage and makes for a good ground cover in shady areas. It is hardy to zone 9. I just LOVE purple heart it is so pretty! Here is some info and not just a good pic..

I am of the opinion that bulbs are pretty easy to grow. Fall is a good time to get planting/dividing bulbs for next spring. Some of my favorite bulbs are crocus (blooms early spring), grape hyacinths (late spring), allium, daylilies (through summer), and asters(late summer/fall). At least, I think that is when they all bloom!!

Now is also a good time to start thinking about the soil and figuring out what, if any, admendments are needed. I'm sure someone will be around shortly to lend you a hand on the specifics--I'm a gardener-in-training still! [Big Grin] [grin]

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by tkhooper on September 11, 2006 07:15 PM
Persian Shield are a great silver purple foliage plant. Really great to have and I think it might like your zone.

For fall don't forget about the mums - Great color. And sunflowers are great too.

For winter interest I would think about Dusty Millers.

And if Lentil Roses grow in your zone they actually bloom in the winter. One of the few plants that do.

Also the walking stick tree is interesting once it drops all it's leaves. The shape is so odd.

Good luck with your new house.

-
 -
by spiedee on September 11, 2006 10:13 PM
Lots of great information...i will look into all of them...

...any bulb company you trust?

Thanks!

Stevie
by patches1414 on September 12, 2006 07:28 AM
quote:
Ajuga has a pretty purple foliage and makes for a good ground cover in shady areas. It is hardy to zone 9.
Sarah, I planted Ajuga some years ago and I hated it! [Mad] It was terribly invasive and it came up everywhere, in my flower beds and in my lawn! [Eek!] It was horrible and it took forever to get rid of it. [Frown]

quote:
Persian Shield are a great silver purple foliage plant. Really great to have and I think it might like your zone.

Yes, Tammy, that's definitely the plant to own! [thumb] It's gorgeous and I love it [Love] ! I bought three of them this year, but it's not hardy in my zone, so I'm going to try to take some cuttings and see if I can manage to keep it over the winter. [Wink] I don't know how to get seeds from it or what they look like! [dunno] I haven't done too well in the past with propagating it, but maybe this year will be different. I get tired of buying it every year but I can't seem to do without it. [nutz]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by LandOfOz on September 12, 2006 09:27 AM
Patches, good point about the ajuga being invasive. I often forget that some people have grass growing in their lawn, not just large patches of dirt! I'm going to be using it has a very thick ground cover for under several trees. Persian Shields are pretty too! I just love them too!

Spiedee, I asked around about bulb companies and the answer I got is to go through Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, or some store along those lines. Most people said that ordering them was too expensive and that (for some) the bulbs are shipped at incorrect planting times. However, some places do offer very good guarantees--some offer to replace any bulbs that don't come up.

Also, just a tip, I've heard that squirrels and chipmunks really enjoy feasting upon bulbs (like crocus). So if you plant those away from the house, you might want to put some chicken wire ontop of the bulbs but still beneath the ground.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by melcon6 on September 12, 2006 10:14 AM
Patti, I love my ajuga! [Big Grin]

Of course, it has to have it's proper place. Like a neglected slope or shady area where you can't get anything in, or as an underplanting to other perenials.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by spiedee on September 13, 2006 10:33 PM
thanks for the advice everyone [Smile]

Stevie
by patches1414 on September 14, 2006 05:49 AM
quote:
Most people said that ordering them was too expensive and that (for some) the bulbs are shipped at incorrect planting times. However, some places do offer very good guarantees--some offer to replace any bulbs that don't come up.

Another problem about ordering bulbs through the catalogs is the time factor. Even though they will replace any bulbs that don't come up you've already lost another year of enjoying them! [Frown] At my age, I can't wait that long, [Big Grin] I need to enjoy all I can now! [Wink] Then, what if the bulbs they replace them with don't come up either? [tears] I've just heard of too many people having problems with some of the plants and bulbs they've ordered through the catalogs and the hassle they went through trying to get them replaced. [Eek!] I figure I don't need anymore stress in my life, so I always get my plants and bulbs locally. [Wink]

I bought some Stargazer Lily bulbs this past spring from Wal-Mart and when I got home I found they were all moldy. [Eek!] I took them back and they let me get another package. We opened them, right then and there, to see if they were okay, and they were! [Smile] I was very satisfied with how it was handled and I didn't have to make another trip back there if they were moldy too!

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by ladyslippers on September 15, 2006 05:17 AM
Just had to add my vote for ajuga. Yes it can be invasive, but if you have a spot for it where you can keep it in control it's purple flowers are so pretty in the spring in New Hampshire. [clappy]

so much to do so little time

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: fall flower planting| Next thread: fall hollyhock planting »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: