The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

help with crawdads???????Please...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: help with crassula...| Next thread: help with double impatiens »
Back to Thread index
by 4Ruddy on April 26, 2004 11:28 PM
Is there anything you can do to get rid of crawdads? We have hundreds that are making a mess of our yard & garden....huge holes everywhere!!! Any ideas?

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by Chrissy on April 27, 2004 05:35 AM
Well I myself have no crawdads in my yard, but I remember as a child my grandpa had tons of them & he loved them because he liked to eat them yuck [Razz] Anyhoo...I found this online that may be helpful: Crawdad Control

-
 -
z5b
by afgreyparrot on April 29, 2004 06:36 AM
Sounds like you have a pretty damp yard. You might need a perimeter ditch around it (get a backhoe, dig a deep trench below the point where the water flows in, add about 6 inches of gravel, then add a 4 inch pipe (buy it on 50 or 100 foot rolls) with holes in it, add more gravel (57's) up to about a foot of the top, cover the rest with dirt. Leave the end of the pipe sticking out to drain (make sure the ditch is draining down hill!). No more crawdaddys! We do this all the time for people. It's a miracle!

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by dixiedoodle on May 01, 2004 06:42 PM
I don't know any fancy tricks for getting rid of the whole lot of them, but I can tell ya how to catch 'em one at a time. When I was a little girl my brothers and I went crawdaddy fishin all the time. What ya do is tie a piece of bacon to a string and dangle it down where they gather. Once they grab on, pull 'em up and stick 'em in a coffee can. Just don't do what my brothers and I had a terrible habit of once we got them home. My mom didn't want them in the house (kind of understandable) so we would put them in the garage. The unfortunate thing was, we had a tendency to forget they were there and then about a week later we'd go in and find all these shriveled up crustaceans and a stank that would gag a maggot off a gut wagon. If ya do decide to catch a few, I have a great recipe for etoufee! Good luck with your dilemma!

what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about...

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: help with crassula...| Next thread: help with double impatiens »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: