The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

gardenia

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: gardenia| Next thread: gardenia »
Back to Thread index
by jason b. on April 01, 2004 02:07 AM
my poor gardenia has started to yellow and some of the leaves have brown and black spots. I have 2 bushes..fairly new..and there also covered with ants...r they ok..there in an acidic soil and are wtaered regularily...2-3x's a week...should i pull it before it gets my other one or is there a remidy...thanks for the help...jason michael [thinker]
by Buglady on April 01, 2004 04:27 AM
Gardenias can be very temperamental. With any kind of stress their leaves will turn leather and drop. But it sounds like you have a few problems.

1. Spots usually are caused by fungal problems, on gardenias usually black spot. Just keep the leaves dry and if problem persists, you may need a fungicide.

2. If you have ants it is probably because of a scale or aphid problem. I usually find scale on the under sides of the leaves and on the branches with gardenias. If you treat for the scale / aphids the ants will go away. The ants are farming off the pest insects. They also protect them from the predators. You can treat for scale with soaps and oils but be very careful. If rates are too high you can cause them to yellow and drop leaves. Follow label.

3. Don't over feed it either with acid fertilizer, just used recommended amounts. To much will cause it to yellow and leaf drop.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by jason b. on April 02, 2004 04:43 PM
the acidic comment reminded me that i did put down some peters last week...maybe that the situation....thanks buglady for the info...jason
by Buglady on April 02, 2004 05:46 PM
I see you are in FL (my home state) Where did you plant the gardenia outside? Or in pot? Do you know if it is graphed? Also they are very prone to iron deficiencies.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: gardenia| Next thread: gardenia »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: