The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ton o' Mums

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Tomoatoe question?| Next thread: Tone down a rock wall »
Back to Thread index
by alankhart on September 03, 2006 07:55 AM
There's a local nursery that used to be the largest in town, but now they just concentrate on mums for the fall. They have an area about the size of a football field full of mums...rows and rows of every color. The best thing is that they are only $1.75 for good size ones (6 in. pots?) and $8 for HUGE ones. My truck bed was completely full of mums, and all for only about $20. The other places in town want $5 for the same size as their $1.75 and as much as $15 for their really big ones. Not even Lowe's can beat their prices. I was very happy when I left. [grin]

-
 -
 -
by TulsaRose on September 03, 2006 08:09 AM
And the picture is where? [Big Grin]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by melcon6 on September 03, 2006 08:16 AM
Which ones are breaking color right now????? We have deep red (burgandy), yellow, pink with yellow centers, and a rust colored one blooming now. All the other colors have buds but are not cracking yet. A lady was very upset because she wanted 25 white mums for her daughter's wedding today and we've called places as far south as RI looking but nobody's got them! I don't know why she had her heart set on white mums?

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by alankhart on September 04, 2006 08:04 AM
There's a beautiful white mum with a soft yellow center called Alexis...one of my favs.
The only one just starting to bloom is called Bold Felicia...a vivid fushia/pink with a deep yellow center.

-
 -
 -
by patches1414 on September 04, 2006 08:14 AM
quote:
The only one just starting to bloom is called Bold Felicia...a vivid fushia/pink with a deep yellow center.
Oh Alan, I hope you are going to post a picture. [Wink] I love pink [Love] and a Fushia Pink Mum with a yellow center, it must be beautiful! [flower] [Smile] [flower]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by alankhart on September 05, 2006 03:50 AM
Since mine aren't in full bloom yet, here's a photo I found on the wb.

http://www.jollyfarmer.com/images/mum%20bold%20felicia.jpg

-
 -
 -
by patches1414 on September 05, 2006 01:16 PM
Alan, thanks so much for posting the picture of the 'Bold Felicia' mum [kissies] ! Actually it looks a little more red than pink to me, but I still might see if I can find one around here because Felicia is my Confirmation name! [Wink] It might be fun to have a flower with my name. [Big Grin]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by dodge on September 07, 2006 08:27 AM
I wanna see some MUM photos from our readers yards......

Mine are out yet........Bronze.

;o(

dodge [scaredy] [tears] [scaredy]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Deborah L. on September 07, 2006 08:39 AM
Patti, did you know that there's a blue daisy called Felicia?

-
 -
by patches1414 on September 07, 2006 02:48 PM
Thanks so much for the heads-up Deborah! [kissies] I've never seen a blue daisy and I sure didn't know there was one named Felicia!  - I'm sure going the check this out! [thumb]

-
 -
by dodge on September 07, 2006 08:52 PM
Any one have Blue daisy seeds to trade?

I want some
I have lots to swap

dodge

-
 -
by tkhooper on September 08, 2006 03:13 AM
the only colored daisy I have is wild and it is sort of a blue violet. There are many flowers on one plant. Is that the one? I've never tried to collect seeds from it. But if someone will tell me where to look I'll give it a try. I do know it doesn't transplant well; because, I did try that.

I dug up and gave away my white and yellow mums today but not the bronze. I couldn't part with it yet. Maybe next month or the month after I'll be able to. I love mums.

-
 -
by dodge on September 08, 2006 03:32 AM
tkhooper

Mums.......Mine are ready to bloom..I have bronze and love them the best......

So were alike on that respect.

dodge

-
 -
by patches1414 on September 08, 2006 05:35 AM
Tammy, how tall are these daisies? [dunno] What kind of petals do they have? [dunno] Are they long and rounded like a daisy or are they thin and pointed? [dunno] Do they have a golden-yellow center? [dunno] [dunno] Sorry about all the questions, [kissies] but I'm very interested and really curious! [Wink]

-
 -
by Deborah L. on September 08, 2006 06:09 AM
Patti, they are called "marguerites", and look like a blue daisy.
"Marguerite, Felicia".
They are super hardy here.
Try to google them-I'm curious to see if you can buy some-how neat a flower for you to have because of your confirmation name ! Love it !
[wavey]

-
 -
by plantingnewb on September 10, 2006 03:39 AM
I just recieved a mum plant as a gift.
Can I plant it outside this late?
Will it be ok over the winter?
I'm in Wisconsin
by dodge on September 10, 2006 04:47 AM
I think so.....

Put a little protection on it when the snow blows.

You still have time for roots to form...I did it last fall, when stores had sale.........Now they are great.

dodge [thumb]

-
 -
by patches1414 on September 10, 2006 11:49 AM
Actually chrysanthemums can be grown zones 3-9 but their hardiness varies by the species. The hardiness of mum cultivars can also vary significantly from one season to the next or the area depending on weather conditions.

I'm in zone 6a and after the frost kills off the top of the plant I cut off the dead tops and cover the mums with about 3"-4" of mulch to protect them during the winter. Sometimes I will lose a few but it seems that most of them do survive and when spring arrives I can see all the new green growth emerging around the base of the plant.

-
 -
by dodge on September 10, 2006 09:44 PM
patches

mine are gorgous in zone 6 .....No mulch at all . I purchased some for a quarter at lowes sale......Last fall.

They are huge bushes now....Love the bronze color.

I just give them rotten manure.

dodge

-
 -
by alankhart on September 10, 2006 09:51 PM
Plantingnewb: First, you need to determine if you were given a "florist mum" or a "hardy mum." Florist mums usually have larger, more colorful blooms and are not hardy. They are grown to bloom indoors in lesser light conditions and will not do well outdoors. If it came with a tag, do a search for the name to see if it's a hardy mum or not.

-
 -
 -
by dodge on September 10, 2006 10:44 PM
Alan

Thanks for advice I never knew.
But suspected.........

Plantingnewb.............He is correct.

dodge

-
 -
by plantingnewb on September 10, 2006 11:31 PM
Alan

I have heard that.
It does say it can be planted outdoors.
Is that the same for azaelas also.
Tammy
by melcon6 on September 11, 2006 03:56 AM
Here's some pictures of mums where I work:

I thought it should go here, as tons o' mums seems to fit:

-

-

-

-
 -

by dodge on September 11, 2006 04:43 AM
Beautiful

Tons for sure......
Do they allow you to get any for yourself?

I love bronze.

dodge

-
 -
by melcon6 on September 11, 2006 05:29 AM
I've taken home 10 so far. [grin] I usually take the broken, mislabeled or badly shaped ones, but I could take whichever I want!

I love the bronze too! My favorites are dazzling stacy, blushing emily and Lisa. [flower] [thumb]

-
 -

by dodge on September 11, 2006 05:53 AM
melcon

Guess you know they root easily from cuttings which you take home.....Make more for 07.

Nice place to work and learn.........Do they have it covered in the winter on the round tops?

b
dodge

-
 -
by melcon6 on September 11, 2006 06:04 AM
One of those does get covered in the winter, they run a fan in that one,but no heat and we put all the perenials in it.

There are five other greenhouses that are covered and will remain that way. They will be heated by wood furnace to start next years seedlings in February.

Very nice place to work and learn indeed!

LOL, I don't have the room for all the stuff I could take for cuttings! [Big Grin]

-
 -

by dodge on September 11, 2006 08:23 AM
melcon

Well you can be pretend farmer at work..

Very nice.......Show us the other 5 inside.
Intresting.

dodge

-
 -
by patches1414 on September 11, 2006 04:49 PM
quote:
My favorites are dazzling stacy, blushing emily and Lisa.
Mel, what colors are these? Also, I was wondering if those were pink ones in the third pictures?

-
 -
by melcon6 on September 11, 2006 05:38 PM
Patti, the first batch of flowers in the third picture is a pretty pink lavender one called Ursula.

Dazzling stacy is bronze/yellow, blushing emily is a pale coral color, and Lisa starts out with a hint of orange on the outer edges and then turns to a bright yellow. All are cushion type.

-
 -

by alankhart on September 12, 2006 02:56 AM
Tammy: yes, the same goes for azaleas...the florist ones are not hardy.

-
 -
 -
by dodge on September 12, 2006 03:45 AM
Wow

i didnt know that either........
Alan your a charm.

thanks

dodg

-
 -
by plantqueen on September 12, 2006 04:07 AM
I bought 2 mums a week ago. I did not know that you could start them from cuttings. Can you give me some details on how to do that? Thank you!

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by dodge on September 12, 2006 04:15 AM
Pinch them off below the notch where the leaf comes out of......

About fourth of an inch below the notch..Put them into a half styro foam cup of water..
That should do it.. Some one said only one to a cup......Change water daily......

dodge

-
 -
by patches1414 on September 12, 2006 06:48 AM
quote:
Dazzling stacy is bronze/yellow, blushing emily is a pale coral color, and Lisa starts out with a hint of orange on the outer edges and then turns to a bright yellow. All are cushion type.

Thanks, Mel! [kissies] I thought maybe some them might be pink! Actually, I've bought enough PINK mums that turned to be lavendar pinkish [Mad] the time I bought 50 starter mums the year I worked at my friend's greenhouse and Garden Shop. I think I'll try to find the "Bold Felicia' Alan talked about because I looked it up and it's awesome. [clappy] Besides, I can tell people it's named after me! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by melcon6 on September 12, 2006 10:12 AM
We've got 'Bold Felicia', hot fuschia pink with a yellow center, daisy type. Believe it or not, it's almost gone by. [tears] It was our first bloomer! The other one that was early is 'Helen' a deep burgundy color. I think I have one, yes I do. I'll get you a picture of Bold Felicia in my garden. [thinker]

-
 -

by patches1414 on September 12, 2006 02:44 PM
quote:
We've got 'Bold Felicia', hot fuschia pink with a yellow center, daisy type.
Oh Mel, I bet it is absolutely beautiful! [Wink] I love any kind of daisy-like flower [Love] and I love pink flowers [Love] so that would be a winner in my book! [clappy]

-
 -
by alankhart on September 12, 2006 08:21 PM
Bold Felicia is an early bloomer, so I pinch mine back throughout the spring and summer, the last pinch being around the end of July. This way I don't get blooms until Late Sept./early Oct. When you stop pinching will depend on how long your grwoing season is.

-
 -
 -
by plantqueen on September 12, 2006 10:06 PM
Thank you Barb! I will try that!!!

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tomoatoe question?| Next thread: Tone down a rock wall »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: