The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How to prune raspberries

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: how to propagate hens and chicks?| Next thread: How to Prune Roses »
Back to Thread index
by lbray on July 28, 2005 12:00 AM
I'm hoping you can answer a few questions for me. I moved into a house this winter with raspberry bushes. I have been trying to read up on how to care for them, when to prune, etc., but I am not sure what type of plants I have. I live in Minnesota, and they produced fruit in late June to early July. My neighbors have some as well that did not produce until just the past couple of weeks. So my questions:

1) Which canes should I prune now? The ones that produced fruit (brown canes)?

2) How far back should I cut them?

3) Should I prune the green canes as well?

4) Will these plant produce fruit again this summer or fall?

Thank you in advance for your help!
by obywan59 on July 28, 2005 12:21 AM
Prune the canes that have fruited back as close to the ground as you can. (now)
Leave the green canes alone, they will produce fruit next year (or this fall if they are "everbearers") although if you think they are too thick you could thin them out a little.
If they are also fall fruiting, you should be able to see fruits forming already. If you don't see any fruits forming on the new green shoots, then they will fruit again next summer.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by lbray on July 28, 2005 12:39 AM
Thank you...I am very glad I found this forum and appreciate the help!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: how to propagate hens and chicks?| Next thread: How to Prune Roses »
Back to Thread index