The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Where do you buy?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by ND farm girl on August 27, 2006 08:20 AM
I see all these plants everyone has, just looked at the Lantana - Maybe Rosies picture? I was just wondering where everyone gets most of their flowers/plants from? Ordering from Brecks, Burpee, Wayside Gardens; or Walmart/Lowes, local nurseries. [wavey]

PattyM
by Deborah L. on August 27, 2006 08:25 AM
Local nurseries, Home Depot, and Target.
I have no patience with seeds, and although buying something like tomato plants locally means that I can't grow all the different varieties, I am only a container gardener anyway.
So a nice red tomato of any kind, or a handful of herbs, whatever, is still a thrill.

-
 -
by Triss on August 27, 2006 08:37 AM
I get my plants from WalMart, Home Depot, Rite Aide and some of the local nurseries. Seeds I get from exchanges here. I also get cuttings and starts from friends and family.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by TulsaRose on August 27, 2006 09:35 AM
WalMart, Lowes, Home Depot, local growers. I'm not much on the seed situation either. Now that most of my beds are established with perennials, I don't spend a lot on plants. The few annuals I grow are self-seeders. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by ND farm girl on August 27, 2006 09:56 AM
Some day - some day I will have established beds...but there's always room for more!

I am going to try the stores more this fall. I have been doing mostly catalog - partly because I live an hour from the city and partly because I have 2 boys and a busy husband and it's just easier to shop from home sometimes!

PattyM
by TulsaRose on August 27, 2006 11:24 AM
You might want to check out any nurseries online before you do your catalog orders. The Garden Watchdog can give you an idea of how reputable the companies are. Just type in the name in the top, right corner search box.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by porter57 on August 27, 2006 05:18 PM
ive tried the online approach
not very satisfied
thinking im gonna stick with locals and a good dose of knowledge from the internet for my choices and do my purchasing locally
by patches1414 on August 27, 2006 08:54 PM
I agree with Porter about ordering plants online since I've been disappointed too many times with both the plants and the service! [Frown] I buy my plants from several local nurseries (and one in St. Louis), Lowe's, Wal-Mart, Home Depot and Farmer's Market. I also get some of my plants and starts from friends! [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by gailo on August 31, 2006 08:35 AM
I bought my lantana at Home Depot. I bought petunias where ever I was and saw a good color. I bought some at Walmart and some at Home Depot and some at a nursery that is close to me. I bought some at Lowes too. I got the passion flower vine at Lowes. I did however buy some awesome daylilies on eBay and they are doing great. I can't wait til next year to see the flowers. I ordered a Meyer Lemon from one of the catalog nurseries you mentioned and they sent it just before the 4th of July and it sat in the PO until after the holiday. When I got it, it was shriveled because it was already rootbound. I was a little ticked. They replaced it. I have to say it survived and seems healthier than the replacement. I thought at least they could've let me know it was shipped, then I would've check the PO on Sat. AM. I guess it isn't in their program to notify you of shipping.

gailo
by ND farm girl on August 31, 2006 08:42 AM
So far - I've had pretty good luck with catalogs - I planted about 200 bulbs/roots last fall. We had a terribly hot/dry spring summer and I had a lot of things that just didn't grow or do well and I sent an email with a list of the ones - which were a lot of them, and they are sending them all to me again this fall to try again and what they don't have - they refunded me. So I've been lucky that way - but have never bought a lot of perennials from Lowes/Walmart/nurseries - partly because I have a 3-year-old, and going to nurseries - he has a blast taking the little plant markers out and puttin them in another - wrong plant! [Smile] Now that he's getting a little older - he's a little easier to take shopping. Also - I live an hour - 55 miles - from Fargo, so shopping from home is a little easier sometimes.

Thanks for the info!

PattyM
by Bestofour on August 31, 2006 12:10 PM
I bought a lantana from WalMart this year too. I haven't bought plants in a long time. I got all my hosta from my daughter several years ago, planted some daylillies, daffodils, the hydrageas were here, put out some coreopsis, dianthus and all that comes back every year. So now I put out seeds I get from my friends here, except for vegetable plants.

ND, what kind of beds are you planting? Do you need seeds? Will things come back in your area?

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by cinta on August 31, 2006 12:37 PM
I do not do seeds it is too much work and I do not have the time to water or run my electric bill up with lights to keep them growing.

I do a lot of internet shopping because there are many different plants you cannot get at the local stores or nursery. I have found a couple of sites that send plants as big as the Lowes, Walmarts etc.

I will PM you some good sites that send really big plants at reasonable prices. I have gotten better deals even when you include the shipping. Is less because of our tax. I have been extremly satisfied with them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by Mrs.Bradley on August 31, 2006 02:03 PM
rite aid and fred meyer(kroger) mostly. one of my thymes came from a nursery, but the rest were the other places. theres not too many places to buy plants around here, but we are getting a home depot in the next town south. opening soon

-
 -
by Pekemom on August 31, 2006 02:10 PM
I've had good luck with Lowes, but several local nurseries (a few near my daughter in Gainesville, Florida)have had some larger beauties. Right now, I'm looking for some topiaries for my front door - those triple bells or twisted topiaries. I found some good stock at Lowes (believe it or not!!)

-
 -  -  -  -  -
Pekemom's Gallery
by CajunMama on September 01, 2006 01:20 PM
I usually get my plants from Lowe's and if I can't find it there I go to Home Depot. A little secret I learned from watching others is to by the "sale" items that the store (Lowe's does it) forgot to take care of. Sometimes they place an entire rolling cart with about 6-8 shelves full of wilted plants and will sell an entire flat for 50 cents to $1. This spring I bought six trays of coleus for 10 cents each! I got about 48 plants for 60 cents. I planted them in my front bed and in some pots and ALL of them made it and are beautiful!

So if you have a little patience and some extra TLC to give to the plants, you can get some pretty cheap plants that will turn out to be beautiful.

-
CajunMama
"Sing praises to the Lord..." Psalm 9:11

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: