The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Stink bugs?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Still trying to figure out what to do| Next thread: Stinky Aloe »
Back to Thread index
by hisgal2 on February 03, 2004 04:26 PM
We have what I think are stink bugs in our house. They have a diamond shaped body and fly around or crawl up the walls. The cats think they are great fun to catch and eat, but I don't really appreciate the fun factor of the bugs. How do they get in my house? How do I get them out of the house?? And why are they in my house??? Can they harm anything in my house....like my quilts or blankets????
by weezie13 on February 03, 2004 04:55 PM
Jennifer
Do they look like these?????
Stink Bugs

Or like this,

Spinned Solider Bug

Garden Helper's Info/Stink Bugs/GOOD BUGS

The first bug, is a wood eating type bug I thought. The second one is a GOOD BUG!!!!!!!
Bill wrote up some infomation on it.....

I'm guessing it's the first bug though.....

(****If you ever do come acrossed the second bug,
leave him alone, he's ugly and has points on his back/shield and it looks like you want to squish him, BUT DON'T/he's a good guy!)

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by hisgal2 on February 03, 2004 05:20 PM
Its actually not the first one. They look more like the second, except the coloring is different. They are more of an ash-brown solid color. And they are good bugs? Is there any way to keep them from being in my house? Thank you for the "good bug" link. I will read it a little later.

-
 -

-
by weezie13 on February 03, 2004 06:24 PM
Jennifer,
We have "The Buglady" and she may roll through
anytime now!! With suggestions on how to get them out or keep them out or not get them in...

I'll see if there's more pictures................

More Stink Bugs

Keep your eyes peeled for "The Buglady"

Weezie

Even more stinks bugs

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by hisgal2 on February 04, 2004 01:54 AM
Now that I know it is a good bug, I'm not quite as scared of them. Sometimes we go for a couple of weeks before we see them and sometimes we see a few at a time. Tonight I saw one flying over my head and I quickly dove behind my husband who was sitting next to me. He swatted the thing and it just fell to the carpet (and was quickly eaten by one of my cats!!! [shocked] ) I grew up in the city and we never had weird bugs like this!!! [grin] Thank you very much for all the information you've supplied...although I suppose it will take more than reading that they are "good bugs" to get over my fear of them.

-
 -

-
by Buglady on February 07, 2004 04:18 AM
Well, actually they are a not good bugs. They are a new introduced species that is causing problems here in PA. They have been coming into people houses in the winter in the North. Follow this link and see if this is your visitor. [Wink]

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by weezie13 on February 07, 2004 04:24 AM
What's the name of the "stink bug"
that's got really spinny points
on their back or shields???

That's the one I"m calling a "Good~Bug"

That other one on my first post, I believe
is definately NOT a good bug.

When I looked up this posts' info,
I couldn't believe how many "bugs"
they referred to as "Stink Bugs"

Why so many????????????????

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by hisgal2 on February 08, 2004 02:46 AM
It is the brown marmorated stink bug!!! Am I still supposed to send a few samples to the university????

-
 -

-
by Kristen on March 28, 2004 03:33 AM
I've been having frequent "visits" from bugs that look EXACTLY like weezie13's first link! Are they really bad? What should I do???
I had been trying searching to find out what exactly they were, and that link was the only one that I found that had the picture of the bugs coming into my house, but it says it's a western variety?? All the rest of the "stink bug" pictures look quite different.
And unlike Jennifer's cats, mine lost interest very quickly because they move so slowly and are quite boring and uninteresting...
by hisgal2 on March 28, 2004 07:09 AM
Haha....mine sort of lost interest in them now. The flick them around for a while, but then they leave them alone...IF they don't eat them. ick My cats are now more interested in all the ladybugs that are in the house.

I still would like to know if I'm supposed to catch some "specimins" of the kind that I have in my house. Bug lady....do you know???

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Still trying to figure out what to do| Next thread: Stinky Aloe »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: