The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Walk on Me Plant? Heard of this?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Wal-Mart Rescues| Next thread: Wallpaper.... »
Back to Thread index
by shari13 on August 26, 2006 10:10 AM
I rec'd a catalog of plants the other day and saw this "Walk-On Me" Plant (Thymus S Coccineum). A Creeping thyme that only gets 3". I thought it might be nice to plant it in my flower beds instead of using the red mulch.
Have any of you planted this or know of it? Is this a good idea.

shari
by ND farm girl on August 26, 2006 10:21 AM
I tried this last spring. I planted it between my flagstones, but I ended up not liking the dirt between them because the rain was washing it away, so it didn't grow much. I'd be interested in seeing it though if somebody else has it!

PattyM
by Mrs.Bradley on August 26, 2006 10:39 AM
I have been seeing all summer up here this brand of ground covers called stepables. there are many different types to choose from and all of them stand up to different "traffic",but all like to be stepped on at least some. I have the blue star creeper but don't step on it as it is in an area of the garden that I can't walk upon. I just run my hands on it now and then.
they are all pretty,and soft=)

-
 -
by shari13 on August 26, 2006 10:42 AM
i wonder how many of these plants i should get, how fast do they grow, can i plant now before winter?

shari
by patches1414 on August 26, 2006 10:43 AM
Sheri, I've never actually planted any of the Creeping Thyme, Thymus serphyllum Coccineum if that's what you're talking about, [dunno] but I've seen it used before and I thought it was beautiful. [flower] [flower] [flower] I think it also tolerates everything from sun to shade, so that's a plus. [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by shari13 on August 26, 2006 10:53 AM
Great, that is what i need. i have some flower beds that get alot of sun, some that get little sun and some that get both. i thought that planting this, would give the yard some kind of uniformity or organization. i hope it will keep the weed eating down too!

shari
by merrillzone5 on August 27, 2006 09:58 AM
to Shari, go to Plants and Flowers> page 2> and topic "Mosses turning brown". I think on page 2 of that topic I posted some pictures of 3 diffrerent "stepables".
by shari13 on August 28, 2006 08:17 AM
thank you, sounds like this is a great thing to buy and plant all around my flower beds!

shari
by merrillzone5 on August 28, 2006 10:42 AM
TO Shari13;I hope the pictures were helpful.I wish that I had planted the thyme all around the border instead of sharing some space with the Creeping Euonymus; as this plant tends to send out above ground shoots vs. the thyme densely fills the area and more efficiently keeps weeds out. The added bonus of the thyme is that you get the aroma when you step on it! Also the "mosses" i planted(also stepables) tended to burn in the August heat wave;but filled in quicker than the thyme.Good luck! [thumb]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Wal-Mart Rescues| Next thread: Wallpaper.... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: