The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ivy plant needs help!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Ivy or vine-covered indoor wall?| Next thread: Ivy Problem »
Back to Thread index
by oninshell on October 25, 2003 04:36 AM
Hello,
The ivy plant in need has dark and light green on the leaves, I am not sure what type it is. When the plant was purchased it was thick and looked great! I transplanted it into a larger pot and the plant thrived. The plant has been in my home for about 2 months and is now looking ruff. A lot of the fullness is gone and some of the leaves are half brown. I don't know a whole lot about plants and would appreciate if someone would be so kind as to give me some advice on how to help this beautiful plant. Also do I need to mist plant? The few times I have misted the plant left little round marks on the leaves...

Thank you!
by papito on October 25, 2003 02:37 PM
Oninshell, Welcome to the TGH Forum.

Someone will come along soon to help you, in the meantime, please check the site below:

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/Ivy.htm

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Flower on February 06, 2004 09:01 PM
Ivy plants do much better in cooler locations. Ideally the room should be unheated with night temperatures not above 60F.

They like bright light but avoid direct sunlight especially in summer.

Keep the potting soil moist in summer with regular watering but cut back during the winter....but never let it dry out totally.

You should mist the leaves frequently in the summer, especially if the room is dry and warm. Mist the leaves in winter too...the air is often dry in the winter. You can also wash the leaves occasionally.

You may need to repot every 2 years.

If the leaf edges are brown and dry and there is bare spindly growth...this is often caused by conditions being too warm. Move to a cooler location. Also look for spider mites that may be the cause.

If varigated leaves turn all green...there is not enough light.

If the leaves are smaller than usual and there is bare spindly growth....it may be caused from too little light. Cut back the bare sections to healthy growth and supply more light.

If the leaf tips are brown and dry with stunted growth...it is caused by the air being too dry. Remove the dry leaves and dead growth...and mist regularly.

Good luck

-
by Buglady on February 07, 2004 03:59 AM
Dont forget how much spider mites love ivy and also eriophyid mites!!!

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Ivy or vine-covered indoor wall?| Next thread: Ivy Problem »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: