The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Eroding ditch

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Dixie Angel on December 03, 2004 03:54 PM
We have a ditch along the front of our property that is starting to erode. To keep the dirt from running away, I am wondering if I could plant bugleweed to help hold the soil. It has been a pain to weed-eat that thing this past summer and I am hoping that the bugleweed will smother the grass and weeds that are already established there.

Thanks for any advice.

Dianna

-
 -
by suzydaze on December 03, 2004 06:45 PM
I had some spots next to my ditch wash out around a tree. I lined it with bricks to stop it from eroding. It was eroding bad, finally got it stopped, now I'm moving plants over there. Got ditch lillies started on mine (those that look like tiger lillies)

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by Dixie Angel on December 06, 2004 05:32 PM
How are you keeping weeds out of the area, Suzydaze? Do the ditch lilies spread and keep them from getting the sunlight they need to grow? Thanks for your input.

Dianna

-
 -
by suzydaze on December 06, 2004 09:12 PM
they will spread and get that thick, my mom has them in her ditch and they have took over the ditch.

my ditch is shaded in the afternoon. I do have alot of weeds over there and have been tossing my extra 4:00 seeds over there as well.

is your ditch full sun area?

4:00's are also a good cover, they re seed them selves and grow to about 3 to 4 foot. Can tqake some pic's if you want to see. I got alot of junk on my ditch line so I can't mow there.

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by Dixie Angel on December 07, 2004 12:08 AM
I would love to see some pics, Suzy! I have plenty of four o'clock seeds that I can throw out there. I got them from my aunt when I moved a year ago, and just hadn't figured out where I wanted to plant them. Will they help keep the weeds from growing, too?

Dianna

-
 -
by suzydaze on December 07, 2004 04:30 AM
the 4:00 grow pretty thick, ber the first year I have tossed any on my ditch. 1st year I noticed my dirt leavcing I moved just plain old clumps of grass over there, anything to help.

Actually I don't fight with the weeds too much after all they too help hold the dirt.

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow

-
 -
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by suzydaze on December 07, 2004 03:34 PM
Here's some pictures of my ditch. It needs to be dug out and we just don't have the money to have it done.
 -

and this is the problem, when all the big ditches are full it backs up onto us because we are on a low end
 -

-
 -
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by suzydaze on December 07, 2004 03:37 PM
it looked alot better this summer with everything blooming in front.

here's the lillies (ditch lillies)
I've started a roll down the side and I have 4:00 seeds now behind that.  -

-
 -
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by suzydaze on December 07, 2004 03:42 PM
that piece of tin you see is where I put a wooden stake behind it to help hold my dirt up, but as you can see when the water is up it's not much help.

I have alot of stuff planted along the ditch line.

that pile of dirt in the very first picture came from where they replaced a water line and the dirt wouldn't go back in the hole, so I ask the guy could I have it and he even dumped it in the hole for me.

-
 -
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by suzydaze on December 07, 2004 03:48 PM
I'll see if I can find some pic's from when I had stuff blooming out there.

-
 -
-Jennifer Unlimited-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: