The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Container Tomato Growing

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by NightHawk on July 11, 2005 06:17 AM
I have been growing Grape Tomatos on my balcony in my apt from seed. This is moreless of a test message. I am very excited about my results!! My plants now reach the bottom of my chin.. it is July, 10 and I am 6'2" tall. Perhaps I owe it to the amount of Sheep POOP and fertilazer I gave them. I have yet to get my first ripe tomatoe but anticipate it soon!!

I have taken some pics but I am not too sure ho wtoo upload them. I would love to share [Smile] [wayey]
by ChristinaC on July 11, 2005 08:05 AM
I'd love to see them! Go to www.photobucket.com. It's free! You can post your pictures there then copy the image here.
Christina

-
 -
by DaisyM on July 11, 2005 12:11 PM
This is the second year I'm trying to grow tomatos in a pot. This year, I put a Roma tomato plant in. So far, the plant itself has grown much larger than I anticipated. It does have a couple of grape sized tomato's on it. I don't know if they will get large enough to eat, but so far I'm happy with it. We did have a late spring and a slow start to summer, so everything is behind in growth.
by tkhooper on July 11, 2005 08:19 PM
I did roma tomatoes and am very happy to report that I have green tomatoes and they are getting right up there in size. I did mine from seed too. I started them inside and then transplanted them outside when they threatened to take over the apartment which was way to small for them lol. I'm so glad everyone appears to be having success with them.
by Sorellina on July 11, 2005 11:30 PM
Ciao NightHawk and greetings from over here in North York (wave).

When did you start your seeds? When did you put your containers outside on your balcony?

For me, seeds were started 22 March, plants hardened off 1st & 2nd weeks of May, and plants in ground or large containers Victoria Day Weekend (21 May). Plants in 15 gal IKEA buckets are >6' tall with tons of flower clusters and green fruit.

Check your DTM (days to maturity) on your seed packet(s). That will give you a ballpark idea of when to expect your first ripe fruit. Keep in mind that it means time from being outside and hardened off to maturity, not from seed in a peat pellet to maturity, LOL ;o)

I know it's tough waiting. You might try Whippersnapper, a determinate cherry tomato available from Terra Edibles here in Ontario for a real early one. Our 6 yr old had his first ripe tomato on Canada Day ;o)

Buona Fortuna,
Julianna

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: