The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

NOw########### My Pink Hibiscus...;o)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: November 2, 2005| Next thread: NOW can I pick it? »
Back to Thread index
by dodge on August 20, 2006 09:46 AM
[Cool] [Cool] [Cool]
At Last my pink Hibiscus in in Bloom..Weeeeeee.

Hope you pink Lovers enjoy it!!
 -

Dodge............. [flower] [flower] [flower]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Triss on August 20, 2006 09:55 AM
WOW!!!! Very pretty! Love it!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by loz on August 20, 2006 10:05 AM
Oooo Barb that looks spectacular! I love it! [muggs]
by weezie13 on August 20, 2006 10:26 AM
Ooooooooooooooooh, that is beautifullllllll!!
I love pink flowers...
*and blue ones, and purple ones, and orange ones,
and red ones, er, um, gettin' carried away*

It is sooooo worth the wait when you finally get
to see them, aren't they...

Thanks for sharing!!! [flower] [thumb] [clappy]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by patches1414 on August 20, 2006 11:39 AM
Oh, Dodge, that is absolutely gorgeous!!! Of course, I LOVE pink flowers! My only pink Hibiscus is the 'Lady Baltimore' and it has the trumpet-shaped flowers instead of the flat ones. The blooms don't get as big on it but they are still beautiful!!! The blooms on my 'Kopper King' Hibiscus do look like a very pale pink but they are supposed to be white!

Do you the name of yours?

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by TulsaRose on August 20, 2006 12:32 PM
Beautiful Hibiscus, Barb, and a wonderful picture. That would be lovely as a Desktop Wallpaper. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by dodge on August 20, 2006 12:38 PM
Triss,loz,weezie,patches,tulsarose

Thank You all so kindly..........It is my pleasure to share.....With those who made it possible......SOmeone sent the seeds to me, and I know not what the types are.. 2nd year..

;o)

dodge

-
 -
by alankhart on August 20, 2006 12:53 PM
That's gorgeous! I want one!

-
 -
 -
by comfrey on August 20, 2006 03:18 PM
Very pretty Barb!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on August 20, 2006 03:43 PM
That's so pretty!

I had my first hibiscus bloom last week...
...a pink dinnerplate hibiscus that I started from a seed that Mike57 sent me.
It is so beautiful!
...and I am so thrilled!

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by patches1414 on August 20, 2006 05:49 PM
Dodge, why don't you post it in Mystery plants and see what you can find out. Susan identified my white Hibiscus and confirmed what someone else had told me.

Okay, Cindy, what is the name of your PINK dinnerplate Hibiscus? Inquiring minds want to know.

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Jimmy V on August 21, 2006 03:19 AM
Dodge I'm not a pink liker but that is beautiful great job. Congrats on all your hard work. Would love to have one of those what is the name of it?

- Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says Keep it organic.
 - GOD BLESS THE U.S.A. Pray for our Troops! Jimmy's Photos
 - Jimmy's Blog
by gailo on August 21, 2006 03:40 AM
Gorgeous!!! [thumb]

gailo
by patches1414 on August 21, 2006 07:56 AM
quote:
Would love to have one of those what is the name of it?
Me too, Jimmy, but I love pink flowers and I'm anxious to find out the name of it!

-
 -
by netwiz on August 21, 2006 08:10 AM
Beautiful picture Dodge! I'm really starting to like Hibiscus and might have to pick one up this fall.

Joanne
by TulsaRose on August 21, 2006 09:03 AM
I've looked and looked, Googled and Googled, until my eyes are bleeding and I can't find the solid pink (no red eye) Hibiscus as pictured by Dodge. I hope someone comes up with the type\name because I think I must have one of these pretties! [Big Grin]

Barb, you WILL be swamped with seed requests!!! lol!

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by patches1414 on August 21, 2006 09:08 AM
quote:
I'm really starting to like Hibiscus and might have to pick one up this fall.

Joanne, you won't be sorry! I love my 'Kopper King' Hibiscus! It's a real show stopper!

-
 -
by Jimmy V on August 22, 2006 12:13 PM
Patti one of my great weakness is Hibiscus any and all . They have the prettiest blooms and folage in my opinion.

- Jimmy's Blog
by patches1414 on August 22, 2006 04:57 PM
Mine too, Jimmy! [thumb] I love them! [Love] My only problem is lack of room to plant as many as I would like! [tears] Here is a picture of my 'Kopper King' which has some gorgeous foliage and the flowers are huge!

-

-
 -
by Jimmy V on August 22, 2006 05:04 PM
Patti love them they are so very beautiful. I kno wwhat you mean about the room I am out also. My sister in NM has a lot more room then I and she said she is getting low on places she can plant anymore. She is the one that got me addicted to them.

- Jimmy's Blog
by daylily77 on August 22, 2006 07:45 PM
That's so pretty!
by weezie13 on August 22, 2006 11:55 PM
OMG [shocked] , those are hugeeeeee [shocked] Patti..
Very [Cool] , very [Love] pretty [flower] [thumb] ..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by DowntoEarth on August 23, 2006 04:30 PM
Dodge, that is sooooooo pretty and SO HUGE! I love it!
Patches, all I can say is, WOW!!! Beautiful, just beautiful!

I have to wonder if I could ever grow one like yours here in Upstate NY and have them survive the cold winters year after year....

Great Job!

[clappy]

Susan
by afgreyparrot on August 23, 2006 04:45 PM
Patti.....those are awesome!!!!!!!

Do you have to stake them up to keep them from falling over?
They are gigantic!

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by DowntoEarth on August 23, 2006 04:50 PM
I had to post again, VERY beautiful flowers you guys! I'm excited for you!!!!
LOVE them!

Great growing!
[wavey]
by plants 'n pots on August 23, 2006 04:52 PM
AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL!!!

I am soooooooooo impressed, Patti! WOWZERS!
I wish I could get rid of those @#$% woodchucks so I could try and grow some of those beauties!

Thanks for sharing that terrific picture! [kissies]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by patches1414 on August 23, 2006 05:33 PM
quote:
I have to wonder if I could ever grow one like yours here in Upstate NY and have them survive the cold winters year after year....

Susan, the information tag that came with the 'Kopper King' says it is hardy down to zone 4. [Wink] What zone are you in? [dunno]

quote:
Do you have to stake them up to keep them from falling over? They are gigantic!

Cindy, it only gets about 4' high, but sometimes the front stems tend to lean toward the sun, so I have two metal stakes behind the plant and use some plastic tape I got from the garden center to tie those up a bit. [Wink]

-
 -
by DowntoEarth on August 23, 2006 05:45 PM
Patti,
I'm in zone 5! Wow! I guess that means I CAN grow these! I just can't imagine being able to grow one of these beautiful giant flowers. Are they difficult to grow? Ahh, a little bit nervous now! [scaredy]

Thank you,
Susan
by patches1414 on August 23, 2006 05:56 PM
Absolutely not, Susan! I'd found the Hibiscus are one of the easiest plants to grow. [thumb] The only trouble I've had with mine are the Japanese Beetles eating the flowers and leaves, but this year they were relatively mild and I didn't even bother to spray it with "Sevin". [Wink]

I bought that plant about 5 or 6 years ago in a gallon pot from a nursery in St. Louis for about $10.95. They grow pretty fast and get bigger each year reaching a maximum height of 4' with a spread of 2-3'. You cannot be disappointed with this plant! [Wink] I love it! [Love]

-
 -
by TulsaRose on August 24, 2006 12:09 AM
Patti, I am in awe of that picture. I didn't realize the Kopper King cultivar blooms were so much larger than the Disco Belle type. WOWSER!!! I need to go shopping really soon and look for one of those beauties. Thanks for sharing the picture and information.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by patches1414 on August 24, 2006 05:16 AM
Yes, Rosie, the 'Kopper King' blooms are definitely much larger than the flowers on the 'Disco Belle' Hibiscus. [Wink] I've seen the "Disco Belle' at the Missouri Bontanical Gardens and their blooms are only about 9"; however, the 'Disco Belle' are smaller plants than the other Hibiscus. They are only about 24-30" high and only spread approximately 18-24", but they are a wonderful plant for a fondation planting if you have limited space. [Wink] [Wink]

-
 -
by floweringchild on August 24, 2006 07:47 AM
Love your pink hibiscus Dodge. Pink is definitely my favorite color. I too would love to have one. What is the size of your hibiscus flower?

I recently purchased two hibiscus, one red (looks like deep pink) the other is pink blush. They measure 10 and 11 inches. I may start another thread and post mine.

-
 -
by patches1414 on August 24, 2006 09:26 AM
Floweringchild, are these the Tropical Hibiscus or Hardy Hibiscus? [dunno] Do you know the name of the one that is deep pink because I love [Love] pink flowers!

-
 -
by DowntoEarth on August 24, 2006 01:46 PM
Oh great [thumb] that's good to know they aren't that difficult to grow. I always thought they were seeing I lost the only one I ever bought in the first year I had it.I just assumed they were temperamental!

Geez, I just can't get over how BIG your flowers are, unbelievable!
Your hibiscus was obviously well worth the $10.95 you paid! A beautiful piece of nature indeed!
I MUST try to grow one next year.

On the south side of the house there is an embankment, about 20 - 25 feet that slopes down toward the house due north and could be just the spot to grow one.The soil there stays slightly moist most of the time there because of the slope and the tops of all the plants get the sunshine. [Wink]

Susan
by patches1414 on August 24, 2006 06:07 PM
quote:
I lost the only one I ever bought in the first year I had it.I just assumed they were temperamental!
Susan, do you think the first one that you bought could have been a Tropical Hibiscus? [dunno] When you go to buy one make sure it's one of the hardy ones and check the tag to see if it's hardy for your zone 5! The hardy Hibiscus and tropical Hibiscus have different leaves (tropical Hibiscus have leaves that are shiny) and the blooms don't get as big on the tropical ones. [Frown] The only drawback to the hardy Hibiscus may be a more limited color selection because the tropical ones come in a wide variety of colors, but the sheer beauty of the hardy ones more than makes for this limitation. [thumb] [Wink] [Wink]

-
 -
by DowntoEarth on August 25, 2006 12:53 PM
Patti,

I'm not really sure what I bought [dunno] Walmart was selling them in their parking lot soon after they opened here years ago, Hibiscus along with a lot of other plants, so I figured if they were selling them, they must be good for this area [Razz]

Come spring though, the whole 3-4ft plant had disintegrated to the ground.It had huge red flowers, nothing specail about except the size. My first and only hibiscus (other than Rose of Sharon) that even remotely resembled yours!

I think it had a tag on it that read, (Tropical) I don't remember for sure if the leaves where shiny, but thinking back, I kinda don't they were but they were large.

So, if I were to get another one, the tag should read zone 5 for my area of course (if it has a tag) and/or say hardy.I'll have to look around the local nurseries come spring and see what I can find, or, get some seeds to plant, then keep my fingers crossed it survives the winter month! [Wink]

Susan
by dodge on August 29, 2006 12:32 PM
I dont know the name .........But I sure will watch for the seeds now for all the requests.

Today I noticed a huge white one , bigger than my first white with red center.......

Boy do they grow.
Keep you posted.

dodge

-
 -
by patches1414 on August 29, 2006 12:59 PM
quote:
Walmart was selling them in their parking lot soon after they opened here years ago, Hibiscus along with a lot of other plants, so I figured if they were selling them, they must be good for this area
I've never seen the hardy Hibiscus at any of the Wal-Marts here. All I've ever seen them carry are the Tropical ones. [Roll Eyes] Susan, just because Wal-Mart or any other place carries a certain plant, doesn't necessarily mean it's hardy in that area (zone), [Frown] only that it will grow in that area during the season because they also carry all the annual plants (e.g. Impatiens, Petunias, etc.). Wal-Mart also sells Mandevillas too, and I sometimes buy a pink one of those even though I know it won't survive the winter here, [Frown] but I love them so much! [Love] [Love]

-
 -
by dodge on August 29, 2006 01:15 PM
PS>>>>>>>>>>>

i got all my hardies online........
Seed swapers......I am being overrun in my beds by them .. I moved some today.......THen I found another patch..EEkkkkkkkkkkk

I will wait till that fellow blooms then move it .. It is in my short bed....they got really tall and the roots was about 18 inches long..Like a tree......might just strangle me.
Maybe Octopus......??

dodge

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: November 2, 2005| Next thread: NOW can I pick it? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: