The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Big, lumpy roots

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Bible Gardens| Next thread: BIG "dim bulb" question »
Back to Thread index
by geegeeburr on November 04, 2004 06:49 PM
We have two big trees that have big lumpy roots that sort of stick out of the ground. One of them goes right close to our house, and the other has heaved up the concrete by the garage.
We want to build a patio out of either pavers or slabs of rock in sand, but it would go right over where several of these roots are. Can we get rid of those roots without damaging the trees?

-
by Arctostaphylos on November 04, 2004 09:16 PM
Well it partly depends on the species of tree. However, I can say this the big woody roots are used for both storage and structure (its these big woody roots that keep the tree upright). So the removal of roots always has an impact on the tree the question is if the impact is significant and will impact the long term survival or structural integrity of the tree. You may want to consult with an arborist to get site speciific advice. Good luck.
by geegeeburr on November 05, 2004 06:33 AM
Thanks, Arcto. I've got messages in to 4 different arborists. Hopefully one will call me back. We've been told the trees are fruitless mulberries.
Umm...I see you're in California. YOU wouldn't happen to be an arborist in the Van Nuys area, would you? [Smile]

-
by Arctostaphylos on November 08, 2004 05:20 PM
A am afraid I do not know any arborists in socal. However if your trees are indeed Morus alba I can say thay are very durable trees. As a matter of fact it is often considered to be a weed tree. Good luck.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bible Gardens| Next thread: BIG "dim bulb" question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: