The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Red Pepper Soybean Cakes

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: red or burgundy wine| Next thread: Red Poppy & Baby's Breath »
Back to Thread index
by Cricket on February 17, 2005 12:13 PM
I have a jar of red pepper soybean cakes that I don't have a clue what to do with. Does anyone have recipe or serving suggestions?

Cricket
by Amy R. on February 18, 2005 07:11 AM
Hey Cricket!
I have absolutely no idea, but it sounded yummy(born and raised on tofu) so I did a dogpile search and came up with a few exotic dishes. I decided not to post the links though, as they seemed too wordy(and god knows I have been all that lately!).
So what time is dinner? I'll bring the white wine!
[Wink]
by Cricket on February 18, 2005 07:37 AM
quote:
So what time is dinner?
What time are you cooking it?
by SN on February 18, 2005 11:50 PM
I'll cook!

That sounds really good. Red Pepper Soybean Cakes, wow, never heard of them, but they sound great!

-
 -
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony... ~Mahatma Gandhi

Rocking through the night
All is silent...Southern Cross

by Cricket on February 19, 2005 10:15 AM
I don't usually buy food in a jar but they looked too good to pass up. But I don't know what to do with them...bake, fry, boil? Or what to serve them with. Maybe in a stir-fry?
by SN on February 19, 2005 03:19 PM
I think I would make a stir-fry over jasmine rice. I love jasmine rice.

And I get a giant bag of frozen stir-fry veggies at Costco, they sell frozen stir-fry veggies in most supermarkets too.
[Smile]

After you start the jasmine rice in a pot, take another larger pot or pan, add about 2 TBLS oil. I usually use olive oil, but you can use any kind - peanut oil, canola oil, etc.

Heat on medium to high. Pan-fry the soybean cakes (or tofu cake), first on one side then until, until it browns lightly. Remove and put on a plate for later.

To the oil, (add more if needed) Add the veggies, cook until just tender crisp or however you like them. Add some minced garlic - at least 2 cloves. Add some fresh minced ginger or ginger powder (to taste, but about 1 TBSL fresh or 1/2 tsp powder). Toss in 1 TBLS arrowroot powder or cornstarch. If you don't have any, substitute flour. Add 1/4 cup orange juice and 1 TBLS honey, mix lightly but thoroughly. Cut the soybean cake into cubes and mix in with the veggies. Now add some tamari or soy sauce, to taste. Salt and pepper if you use them. Serve over the jasmine rice. Or any rice you like.

This is pretty much what I do using tofu curd.

[Smile]

HTH

-
 -
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony... ~Mahatma Gandhi

Rocking through the night
All is silent...Southern Cross

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: red or burgundy wine| Next thread: Red Poppy & Baby's Breath »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: