The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Getting rid of small pest trees.....

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Getting rid of ferns| Next thread: getting rid of staghorn rhus »
Back to Thread index
by Gardener Vulcan on October 17, 2004 08:04 PM
Did I imagine this or not? If, when cutting
down a small unwanted tree, I paint the remaining
nub/stump, it will prevent it from coming back.

Thoughts?
by weezie13 on October 17, 2004 08:29 PM
Hello Gardener Vulcan, [wayey]
I do remember something to that effect!!!
But seems like I remember something to the effect some no longer thought that was wise?? [dunno] something about a tree being able to do it on it's own or something else was done to replace that painting...
We do have a couple of tree guys here, Papito or
Arctostaphylos, they maybe able to steer you a little bit better direction on some info???

Weezie

P/S Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum......
We are very glad you found us!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Gardener Vulcan on October 18, 2004 02:44 AM
Thank you.

Maybe someone can enlighten us.
by Arctostaphylos on October 18, 2004 11:17 PM
Well my two cents is as follows: Item (1) using any sort of "wound dressing" is ill advised it has been proven that these treatments do nothing to help the tree and often promote an environment favorable to pathogens. This is a digression from the actual question. OK Item (2) "painting to kill off a stump": what i think you are thinking about is that on species that readily stump sprout like Populus, Eucalyptus or Salix can the stump be killed when the tree is cut? The answer is yes it is common on these problem species that after the trunk is cut to paint on a systematic herbicide (RoundUp) on the fresh wood. The herbicide is drawn into the vascular system and the tree is killed. Hope this is some assitance. Good luck.
by catlover on October 18, 2004 11:50 PM
Arctostaphylos....will the round~up kill other plants/trees that the "tree" roots are tangled with?
I have mega oleanders that are right next to liquid amber trees and I know those roots are wrapped around each other....want to get rid of the oleander and keep the trees!!!
Catlover [kitty] [dunno]

-
 -
 -
by Longy on October 19, 2004 01:35 AM
In addition, when u cut, paint immediately. Don't go round cutting 'em all then go round later and paint them all. It has to be straight way.

Glyphosate (roundup active constituent) won't kill other plants thru the root system.
by Arctostaphylos on October 19, 2004 06:47 PM
Longy is correct except for one special case. Most woody plants will root graph with others in the area of the same species. It is possible under these conditions that killing one tree could have an impact on a tree of the same species in the same area. However even in this case it is unlikely that enough herbicide could be translocated to kill the neighbor tree. With different species there is no concern. Good luck.
by catlover on October 19, 2004 07:14 PM
Gotcha [thumb] ...thank you much!
Catlover [kitty]

-
 -
 -
by Gardener Vulcan on October 19, 2004 10:31 PM
Thank you all very much.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Getting rid of ferns| Next thread: getting rid of staghorn rhus »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: