The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

OK - I think I did the right thing with this tree

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Carly on October 12, 2004 08:37 AM
As you will remember, a few days ago I was worried that I might have endangered the health of a couple of trees by planting around them.

Here is what I've done with the circle I made under the birch tree

-

I had originally put soil right up to the trunk - it seems I should have left some space so the tree could still get rain and snow.

I scooped some garden soil out of there today (it was rather chilly out there too). I put stones inside, leaving about an inch-and-a-half of space.

- also -

You might just as well see this tree in its fall colour

I don't think the tree is all that old. It was here when we came in 95 and it was smaller then. It seems to be doing well.

-

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by Jiffymouse on October 14, 2004 05:04 AM
[thumb] ya did good kid!
by sidheblooms on October 14, 2004 07:05 AM
ya right on!! looks good, and the tree will like the effort as well. good idea pulling the dirt away from the stump, you dont want no rot forming there.

oh how i do love the mighty birch tree, i love the fall colors, and i love the white white bark. they have inspired many a artists, and have graced many a canvas.

may yours bring you many years of beauty!

-
HAPPINESS is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony. ~ Ghandi
by Carly on October 14, 2004 08:11 AM
Oh, good - I did the same thing with the Austrian Pine - now these two tree circles are all ready for the winter. Let the snow fall . . .

-

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: