The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Starting From Seeds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Duke Webb on January 05, 2006 03:36 AM
I grow tomatoes during the winter. The reason I looked for this site is because I like to put out my plants the 1st of Sept. but the local stores / garden center do not get their plants in until the third week of Sept. Solution to problem, start my own tomato plants from seeds.

My question is how deep in the peat pot should the seed be placed?

I made a trial run just for grins. Seemed to much trouble using a grow light so I planted the peat pots in the garden level with the ground, back filled with dirt and watered. Will see if it works. If it does not work I will do something else next time.

Duke
by weezie13 on January 05, 2006 03:44 AM
A ball park concept when planting any seed
is no more than twice it's size..

But a funny thing with tomatoes for me...
I have a compost and throw my tomatoes from the
garden in there..
and I have a plethera of "Volunteer" tomatoes..
I've often joked about either not planting any,
*because the dropped tomato on top of the soil in
my raised beds from the summmers' crops, also produce seedlings in the spring when left to winter over on top of the soil.*
And/or I was going to dig a hole in the beds where I wanted the plants to be.. and just throw in a shovel full of sifted compost...
I get several to sprout just from when I throw on the compost to ammend the garden soil...

[teacher] I do believe they need darkness to sprout though...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Wizzard on January 05, 2006 06:11 AM
i have started tomatoes very well by just placing them on a pre soaked peat pellet. i have also had them sprout by just placing them in a pot with dirt, water twice a day. you could push them down in the peat just enough for you not to see them and that would probably do well also. good luck. welcome to the forum

Wizzards pics

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: