The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Snow Drops

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: snip/cut/pinch| Next thread: snow peas /second planting? »
Back to Thread index
by hisgal2 on April 18, 2004 06:11 PM
I thought Snow Drops were bulbs plants. Are they?? This morning when I was out in the garden, I took a close look at them and it looks like they went into seed. Do they go into seed?? Do they plant their own bulbs?? If they do, I'd like to harvest them and keep them til next year. Where alot of them are, we will be building the extension to the deck, so I'm going to dig the plants up, but will need to plant more to cover the amount of ground around the deck. Any pointers???

-
 -

-
by obywan59 on April 18, 2004 11:19 PM
Replant the seedlings in a sunny place and keep watering until the seedlings die down. (They'll go dormant) The seeds could bloom in a year, but 3 to 5 years is more likely. Also, they may not look exactly like their parent.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by hisgal2 on April 21, 2004 06:52 PM
by "seedlings" do you mean the little round seed-looking thingies???? If so, then thats not a problem. ...or do you mean that I'm supposed to wait until they plant themselves??? [dunno]

-
 -

-
by obywan59 on April 21, 2004 07:22 PM
If they haven't seeded themselves yet, wait till the seedpods begin to open. Sow in seed-starting mix in pots or trays and lightly cover with more mix. Set the containers in a cool, shaded place outdoors (next to the north side of your house is a good place) and water as needed to keep the soil moist.

-
Terry

by obywan59 on April 21, 2004 07:25 PM
Oh yeah, Jennifer, then move the containers to a sunny place and follow the instructions in my original message.

-
Terry

by Newt on April 25, 2004 06:53 PM
Hi Jennifer,
If you think you won't be able to 'catch' the seeds before they drop, cut the toe from an old pair of pantyhose and gently tie it around the seed head so it can catch the seeds for you. It may look unsightly, but should insure you catch the seeds.

Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
by hisgal2 on April 29, 2004 12:38 AM
The seeds are still on the plants (even from when I first posted) originally our plans were to build the deck this coming week. Now we don't know if we are going to build the deck. Anyways, if we do build the deck next week, then all of the things that are growing around the deck need to come up....say Sunday or Monday. What do I do?? The ferns that are starting to grow can be transplanted no problem. I'm not really worried about those, but the snow drops and a couple of blue bells are all still there. Help! Can I dig them all out and transplant them after the deck is finished?? Is there something that I can do about the seeds on the snow drop? Can they be pulled or cut off?

Newt...great idea about the pantyhose. Unsightly, maybe, but its in the backyard...who cares. [dunno] [Big Grin]

-
 -

-
by obywan59 on April 29, 2004 08:08 AM
Just dig the clumps of bulbs and temporarily
plant them in the garden or another flower bed till you're ready to replant them. Then you can replant them as a clump or if you wait for the foliage to turn brown, divide them and spread them around.

-
Terry

by Newt on April 29, 2004 08:30 AM
Jennifer,
Glad you like the pantyhose idea! I've used them for so many things, including tying tomatoes. They have 'give'.

Just dig your plants and bulbs and pot them up. You can keep the pots under a tree (I did this with 500 pots for a whole season of spring, summer and fall) or bury them somewhere in the garden up to their rims. I would suggest that you don't stress the snowdrops anymore by asking them to ripen that seed and remove it. You can let them go to seed next year.

Good luck with your new deck!
Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: snip/cut/pinch| Next thread: snow peas /second planting? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: