The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

black eyes susan issues

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: black eyed susans help| Next thread: Black Fungus »
Back to Thread index
by eClaire on August 15, 2006 08:15 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew the bloom time for black eyes susans, mine are starting to wilt and the flowers are turning brown already. Last year they bloomed throught the fall and looked great the whole season, but they are struggling this year - but so are lots of my plants due to the crazy weather. I water them in the morning every other day or so - if its' hot every day - and they don't look diseased or munched on.

Thanks!

Claire
by alankhart on August 15, 2006 09:01 AM
Mine usually start blooming in July and continue until sometime in September. BES are actually fairly drought tolerant...I rarely give mine extra water unless it hasn't rained for several days. They may wilt some in the heat of the day, but they pep back up in the evening/next morning. Too much water will cause them to rot. Before you water, check the soil about an inch down...if it's moist, don't water, even if they are wilting. Wilting isn't necessarily a sign of a lack of moisture.

-
 -
 -
by loz on August 15, 2006 09:33 AM
Good info! I'll have to remember that, just planted some--it's my state flower! [thumb]
by TulsaRose on August 15, 2006 12:28 PM
Don't forget to deadhead often so the plants can concentrate on more blooms. (unless you are leaving the dead flowers on to ripen for the seeds) [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by dodge on August 15, 2006 12:52 PM
eClaire

My blackeyed susan vine just started to bloom last week......

Guess I am late..

dodge [teacher] [sleepy] [party]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by TulsaRose on August 16, 2006 12:35 AM
I think the Black-eyed Susan Vine, Thunbergia alata, has an earlier bloom season than the Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia) plants that eClaire is talking about.

Dodge if you have seeds for your vine later, I would love to trade with you for some. I've always wanted to grow it and never got around to looking for seeds. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by dodge on August 16, 2006 02:50 AM
Tulsa ROse

Sure I wrote me a note to save some when they are ready.. Just started to bloom last 2 weeks.

However My blackeyed susan plant (If they are) been at it for months blooming.. Maybe they are brown eyed daisys..........
Have to put a photo on for you to se.

dodge [scaredy] [scaredy] [scaredy]

-
 -
by gailo on August 16, 2006 07:50 AM
If you leave the flower on to make seeds, do you plant the seeds in the fall?

gailo
by dodge on August 16, 2006 07:56 AM
Tulsa ,
Here is a photo of mine....vi  - ne today
here is the
plant ..I think browneyed daisy?
 -

are they the same daisy and susan?

I think you do plant the seed in the fall.

dodge......(After picking) [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

-
 -
by TulsaRose on August 16, 2006 08:09 AM
Super shot! The vine looks so healthy and happy. [Wink] Hang on to those seeds.

As for the plants, they look like Susies of some kind...don't know which variety but I think they are all in the Rudbeckia family and some varieties are commonly called Black-eyed Susan, Gloriosa Daisy, Yellow Ox-eye Daisy and even Coneflower. It can get really confusing.

Gailo, I've never started them from seeds so I can't help you there. In fact, I've had miserable results with most of seed-starting endeavors so I usually buy bedding plants. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by eClaire on August 16, 2006 09:09 AM
I just dead headed my plants - I saw tiny sprouts forming so hopefully i'll get another round of blooms before the season ends. Thanks for all your input [Smile]

Claire
by eClaire on August 16, 2006 09:10 AM
PS - dodge, your plants look great, I never knew there was a black eyes susan vine - is it a full sun plant? everygreen or perrenial? i am looking for a vine to cover some latice on my shed....

thanks

Claire
by dodge on August 16, 2006 09:14 AM
e Claire

This is my first try at the Vine.. I planted it from seed indoors.....It is on the east side of my house......NOt an evergreen, or perennial.. The lady said she plants seeds from it yearly.

Thanks for the kind words,..
barb

-
 -
by ND farm girl on August 16, 2006 12:28 PM
eClaire - This is also my first time with a climbing vine and I love it. There is a picture of it in my photos climbing up the leg of each swing. I'll definately plant again next year. It has since this picture gotten much bigger and almost to the top of the swing and it's got tons of flowers!

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n292/pmunro/

PattyM
by Vera_M on October 21, 2006 12:58 AM
Your Black-eyed Susan vine is actually Thumbergia alata and is not related in anyway to the Rudbeckia belonging to the Asteraceae [Big Grin]
These belong to the family Alcanthaceae.

Vera
by Vera_M on October 21, 2006 12:59 AM
oops! I meant Acanthaceae Family....

Vera

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: black eyed susans help| Next thread: Black Fungus »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: