The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bearded Iris Propagation

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Bearded Iris bulbs| Next thread: Bearded Iris Question »
Back to Thread index
by laurieM_Cooper on September 11, 2004 08:39 PM
I have iris' that I would like to try to propagate . How do get started?
Also, I would like to know if it is true that if you plant a yellow iris by another color (like "purple" ), that the "yellows" will always take over the other colors. Is this true?
by catlover on September 12, 2004 06:07 AM
Hi Laurie....Welcome to The Garden Helper [wayey]
Here is a write up Bill did on Iris
If you go to the top of the page and where it says Google....type in iris and there will be several other postings to read.

I haven't tried planting iris yet but I did see a show just the other day about them....they dug them up split them apart gently and then trimmed the tops to an inverted V shape and planted in amended soil....they stressed not to plant the rhizome to deep and then water well.....getting them too deep would cause rot. It looked simple enough but like I said I don't grow them. [Roll Eyes]

As far as color....the only thing that show said was you could pollinate them by hand to get different colors and they showed how to do it...and that definitely made a different color for future flowers. Growing side by side and color changes el~natural???? I dunno! [dunno] I would think bee's would be able to cross pollinate them and result in color change....I may be totally wrong!!!!

I don't know if any of that helped but I gave it my best shot. A lot of hear say! [perplexed]

Can anyone else help Laurie???? [dunno]
[kitty]

-
 -
 -
by Bess of the Piedmont on September 13, 2004 07:01 PM
Hi! I grow bearded irises, and I just wait until fall, cut off the browned leaves to one inch tall fans and then I can easily see the rhizomes sitting along the top of the soil. They look like fat tan, papery sausages. You can cut between the links to separate the plants. Any links that show no growth or look rotted can be thrown away. The ones with the fans can be lifted, distributed and re-planted (only half-covered with soil) in soil that has been beefed up with compost. It is a good idea to do this every three or four years, as iris tend to eat up the nutrients in the soil. Your iris will love you for it and reward you with many new offspring!

I have lots of wonderful colors of beardies in my garden, but weirdly enough, no yellows. I love the yellow ones! But I've never heard of them taking over the other colors.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bearded Iris bulbs| Next thread: Bearded Iris Question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: