The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My Zinnia's are looking horrible???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: My yucca is dying!| Next thread: mycorrhizal fungi »
Back to Thread index
by gardenfairy on August 13, 2006 12:22 PM
Most of my zinnia's are looking horrible. The leaves are drying up and turning brown. Some of my leaves have something white on them. If anybody know what could be causing this please help. They were looking so good.

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by loz on August 13, 2006 01:46 PM
quote:
The leaves are drying up and turning brown.
Mine do that when they are underwatered...if I give them a good soaking they bounce right back. I just cut off the really crispy leaves.....

The white things might be aphids or spider mites....They both like Zinnias... [Razz]

plant pests
by gardenfairy on August 13, 2006 01:56 PM
I water them everyday, espically with as hot as it has been. The entire left is white? I'm not sure what it is.

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

by loz on August 13, 2006 01:59 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if it's some kind of fungal disease...... [dunno]

That happened to my Vincas a few years ago. [Razz]
by gardenfairy on August 13, 2006 03:25 PM
Is there anything you can do for something like that?

Monica

-

by Bestofour on August 13, 2006 03:58 PM
zinnias are bad to get mildew on them.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by gardenfairy on August 13, 2006 05:31 PM
Okay I think I might have found my problem. I've been doing some reading about zinnia and alot of different website all say to water Zinnia's below the foilage to help prevent the mildew. I think I will try that (so much for the sprinkler)

Monica

-

by gailo on August 14, 2006 01:08 AM
I use a soaker hose.

gailo
by alankhart on August 14, 2006 02:45 AM
There are mildew resistant zinnias, so maybe next year you can plant those instead. They usually don't have flowers as large, but they are tough as nails and now come in a better variety of colors. Profusion zinnias are one example.

-
 -
 -
by loz on August 14, 2006 04:18 AM
I didn't know they got mildew so bad, guess I've been lucky [thumb] because I just spray 'em down when I water.......
by gardenfairy on August 14, 2006 04:46 AM
I will try to get some different types next year. I might also try a soaker hose.

Monica

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: My yucca is dying!| Next thread: mycorrhizal fungi »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: