The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Propagation of Butterfly Bush?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Kingfisher on April 14, 2005 05:52 AM
I have had a Buddleja alternifolia planted in a large container since last year. Seems to be doing well here in zone 7. It survived the winter here really well in the container outside. This plant is a very fast grower and now has MANY shoots coming up through the soil. The question is has anyone had any luck taking soft shoot cuttings from this type of Buddleja. I have read that you can take these in early summer. My local nursery does not have any Butterfly bushes in yet, to early I guess. So I would like to take several cuttings and share this great plant with friends and family. This type is much more of a tighter bush than other Buddleja, which I like. Thanks.
by Dixie Angel on April 14, 2005 02:56 PM
Kingfisher, could you post a picture of the bush? I am thinking about using a tri-colored one in my landscape plans. How big has it grown? How easy is it to care for?

Dianna

-
 -
by mike57 on April 14, 2005 10:04 PM
HI [wayey] KingFisher i live in ala also butterfly bushes are easy i found you a link that tells you what you need to do heres the link.
http://www.aboutbutterflybush.com/propogating_butterfly_bush.shtml
it should tell evrything you need to know ok hope this helps.your friend in gardeing.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by Kingfisher on April 15, 2005 05:40 AM
Dixie Angel, I will try and post a photo of the type that I have soon in this post. Mike, thanks for the site, lots of great info will come in handy. Being that this one is evasive I may try and did up some of the shoots coming up from around the outer edge of the container and transplant them and see how they do. Thanks. Dixie, I bought a 2 gallon container at Home Depot last year and transplanted it in a 16" container and it more than tripled in size. Very fast growing and spreads. Care is very easy just water and a little fertilizer. I usually will buy a smaller size plant and transplant it in a container and let it grow for a year then set it out in my garden. That way I can enjoy it around my deck and then in the garden.
by Dixie Angel on April 15, 2005 03:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Kingfisher:
I usually will buy a smaller size plant and transplant it in a container and let it grow for a year then set it out in my garden. That way I can enjoy it around my deck and then in the garden.
Sound like what I need to do, too! Thanks for the tip! [thumb]

And thank you, Mike, for the link you gave Kingfisher. It helped me out, too! [muggs]

Dianna

-
 -

Active Garden Forum