The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

rugosa roses

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Rufus| Next thread: rumtopf »
Back to Thread index
by mrw on August 11, 2006 08:32 AM
Is anyone familiar with rugosa roses? I have grown some from seeds(rose hips) and they are currently in the garden (nursery section) and are looking quite healthy about 4-5 inches tall, lots of leaves. I would like to separate them and move to another location within the next week. I wanted to know if they need special care for the winter, eg heavy mulch, or is there anything I can do to help the babies survive til spring? Thanks!
by digital flower on August 23, 2006 12:22 PM
I have never grown the Rugosa Rose from seed. I have it in the garden and it is quite a bit of work keeping it under control. You had better get a good pair of gloves. [Wink] I don't think they need any special protection to get going.

Daily Gardening Blog

Garden Photography
by CapeCod on August 24, 2006 12:20 AM
In New England (Cape Cod especially), it grows wild. I don't think Mother Nature does much to protect it from the elements. I have never tried "borrowing" a few shoots from the sandy soil where it is usually found, but, now that you mention it....!!
by TulsaRose on August 24, 2006 01:47 AM
Is this the type of Rose you have? If so, be prepared for vicious thorns. [Big Grin] The various canes will jump out, grab you and wrap around you like snakes. lol! But the blooms are gorgeous and oh so fragrant...it makes it worthwhile. [Wink]
 -

Rosie z7a
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Rufus| Next thread: rumtopf »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: