The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Daylily Seed Pod

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Daylily question| Next thread: de-tassling corn »
Back to Thread index
by DowntoEarth on August 07, 2006 01:40 PM
Hello, [wavey]

Should I let the seed pod on one of my daylilies start to shrivel a bit and split open some before harvesting the seeds? [dunno]

And once I harvest the seeds, can I plant them directly into the ground? [dunno]

The seed pod is on a daylily called Strawberry Candy and I'd like to try and grow more since I only one of that kind.
I tried planting seeds (maybe they weren't ripe yet) from a seed pod off a yellow daylily a couple of years ago, but nothing ever came up.

Thanks for any information!
by gailo on August 07, 2006 02:34 PM
I put this in another post.
"I was just reading up on the seeds today. Evidently you break apart the dried pods and get the seeds out(mine were shiny black about the size of a BB). Then if you want to plant them in the fall to sprout in the spring you can do that and the moisture over winter will be absorbed by the seeds. If you want to plant the seeds in pots to sprout right away you first have to put them in a plastic bag like a zip lock bag with 2 tsp. of water. Then you try to get all of the air out when you zip it up. Then you put it in the refrigerator for 3 weeks or until you see it begin to sprout. After three wks you plant the remaining seeds that haven't sprouted. These daylilies are your own hybrids. Then next spring you plant them. "

And yes you can put the seeds in the ground in the fall. But they will not be the same as Strawberry Candy, they will be hybrids.If you want Strawberry Candy, just separate the plants. You should let the pod turn brown and open on the plant, then the seeds will be ready. You have to also understand I personally haven't done this yet. I just read about it. I am in the process now of doing the first method. My seeds are still in the fridge.

gailo
by DowntoEarth on August 08, 2006 09:36 AM
Thanks for the excellent information gailo!

I think I'll do the seeds in the fridge ((never done it that way before) and watch with anticipation for a few weeks or so and hopefully get some results this time.
You have helped a lot!

Good Luck with yours!!!
Thanks again,
Susan

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Daylily question| Next thread: de-tassling corn »
Back to Thread index