The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tomato Plants but no Tomatoes???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Tomato plants| Next thread: Tomato Plants going nuts!! »
Back to Thread index
by Pooters Mom on June 16, 2005 02:25 AM
I have 9 huge plants my 5 yr old planted. They look great, have blooms and all. But not a one tomatoe. What is the problem here. She is getting really upset that she has none. Can anyone tell me what to do? I have do all the good stuff, feed them, watered them what now?
by connie mounsey on June 16, 2005 07:29 PM
I live in Oklahoma too and my plants are just now putting on tomatoes. Patience is hard for a 5 yr old!!

Without faith life has no meaning.
by tkhooper on June 16, 2005 07:41 PM
Patience is hard for me too. And I'm much older than 5 lol. I have to tiny buds and that is it. So just continue to do what you are doing.

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on June 16, 2005 07:51 PM
I was thinking about you, Tammy, when Connie was talking about patience! [Big Grin]

Dianna

-
 -
by tkhooper on June 16, 2005 08:03 PM
lol

-
 -
by weezie13 on June 16, 2005 08:08 PM
Pooters Mom,
Hi, and Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum..
We're very glad you found us!!!

Couple of questions..
Are you fertilizing your plant?
If so, what kind?? And what are the numbers on it?
And what kind dirt did you plant your plants in?
And hows' the sun in the area? *How much time?*
And what's the bee activity around your plants??

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by LMT on June 16, 2005 08:17 PM
I love that you have a 5 year old who planted tomatoes. The first time you incorporate the tomatoes into a meal, don't be surprised if your 5 year old beams and you get a stupid smile on your face that won't go away.

A few years back I worked with a girl who was a huge NASCAR fan. I can't understand why someone would want to be attached to a TV on a sunny Sunday afternoon but to each their own. I asked her if she had other hobbies. Gardening but the kids drive me crazy when I'm trying to garden. I suggested she give a bit of space to each kid and let them grow any vegetable they wanted too. The daughter (7) had bunnies so I suggested lettuce, carrots and cabbage. For the son (4) I suggested something that could grow itself; tomatoes.

I was her superior, in the employment sense, so I wasn't going to bug her about it. I waited a few months and asked if she let the kids garden. Britney wouldn't let anyone touch her space and wanted to grow more lettuce. Camron beamed, I mean strutted around the house like a rooster, whenever his tomatoes were part of the evening meal. Both kids eagerly helped mom in the garden and they were all having a great time.

You plant your seed and it grows.

Currently listening to: Vince Guaraldi Trio -- A Charlie Brown Christmas. Adult and contemporary but evocative of youth and innocence, a must own CD.
by JV on June 17, 2005 10:36 AM
Pooters Mom if you have done all weezie and the others said still no fruit but a lot of blooms and no bees etc you can thrash them good by that I don't mean dystroy them. Take something like a soft broom or a towel you can even use your hands and just bash it around good make sure you don't break anything if all goes well you should see fruit in a little while liek a week or so, This is how I do mine when I have no bees like this year I am eating tomato's. I planted mine first of march so I have been awhile getting my fruit. It wont happen over night just don't give up. Also put a little blood meal and bonemeal around the plants (I do mean a little too) and water it in good. I put this in the hole when I plant the plants. Mine are not from seed. I bought the sets.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by princessbride21 on July 03, 2005 12:49 PM
My husband and I learned last year that if the tomatoes don't get a LOT of sunlight (like, full, direct sunlight, for a longer period of time than most crops usually need, they will not grow anything. Make sure they aren't being shaded, and try to trasnplant them if they are. If you decide to transplant, dig a shallow trench for them and lay about 1/3 - 1/2 of the plant in it, leaving the top portion above ground...and stake it if you need to. [Smile] Hope this helps. [Smile]
by agmilner on July 05, 2005 03:58 AM
[Frown]

Gene Milner
by Sorellina on July 12, 2005 12:23 AM
Pooters Mom,

Try manually "flicking" the blossoms with your fingers, "painting" them with a small artist's paintbrush, or "vibrating" them with an electric toothbrush. Teach your Munchkin how to do it (gently) and let her vent her frustration on her plant.

Another trick to tell if your blossoms will bear fruit: once the blossoms start to wither, look at the stem behind them before the "knuckle" where the tomato will naturally break off. If that stem is strong and green, it probably won't fall off and there will be a tomato there. If it's weakened and yellow, it will probably fall off. Vibrating those blossoms helps with pollination, especially when it's very hot and humid because the pollen gets sticky and clumpy and doesn't want to fall where God intended ;o)

Hope this helps you AND your Munchkin,

Julianna

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Tomato plants| Next thread: Tomato Plants going nuts!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: