The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Is a "mess" of squash

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Bestofour on June 12, 2005 09:22 PM
a southern term or a gardeners term. I started to post that I gathered a mess of squash for dinner (which is a whole nother term) this morning so I started wondering about the terminology. A mess means enough for a meal in the south. Is it the same everywhere? And what about dinner? A lot of people in the south have breakfast, dinner, and supper. Where I grew up we ate lunch and dinner.

Anyway today I gathered a mess of squash and some radishes.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by MaryReboakly on June 12, 2005 09:38 PM
Hey Sheri! I'm not sure about the mess of question, but I do know that in NY we ate lunch and dinner/supper. My family in Southern Ohio ate dinner and supper - it took me a while to figure out that dinner and supper were 2 meals), and now that I relocated to Southern Illinois, I'm eating lunch and dinner. I think it was a regional thing, mostly in the 'deep south' but with people being able to move cross country and state-to-state so much easier now it's becomming more of a spotty useage. I could be completely wrong, but that's my experience, and my $0.02 [Wink]

Mary

-
 -
by Katb on June 15, 2005 05:28 AM
A mess means the same here in wva & breakfast lunch & supper is what we call it.
by 4Ruddy on June 20, 2005 12:23 PM
In Arkansas we have...Breakfast...lunch/dinner and supper. Only if you are going to a formal affair would we call supper...dinner.(I'm crackin up here)

And a mess to grandpa was enough to feed the neighborhood! But, if he came in with a "few" it was a mess also [nutz]

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by Longy on June 20, 2005 02:37 PM
If i make a mess i generally need to clean it up..... Or take a shower i guess. But that's another story.

-
The secret is the soil.
by connie mounsey on June 20, 2005 07:38 PM
I'm from Texas and we have a "mess" of black eyed peas or green beans...never heard a "mess" of squash. We have breakfast lunch and supper here. Connie

Without faith life has no meaning.
by Meg on June 20, 2005 08:33 PM
To me, a mess of it would be either Longy's definition, [Big Grin] or a whole lotta something. [Wink]

It's breakfast, lunch, and dinner/supper.

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by gchughes on June 21, 2005 02:35 AM
A mess is any amount that you are proud of. We had a mess of collards, squash or beans whenever we picked our garden.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: