The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Dahlias

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Dahlias| Next thread: DAHLIAS/DISEASES »
Back to Thread index
by LandOfOz on August 04, 2006 09:27 AM
I planted some dahlia tubers this spring and the poor plants have been harrassed by bunnies ever since they got about 6 inches tall. I am needing to work on ammending the soil in the particular spot, so I was wondering if I could just dig up the tubers and stick them in the fridge? Is that bad to do in the middle of the growing season? They are pretty much just a stalk thanks to the bunnies. [Mad]

thanks!

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by tkhooper on August 05, 2006 10:55 PM
I don't think that would work at all well. Plants depend on the energy they can store this year to grow next year. But maybe you could pot it up and grow it somewhere the rabbits couldn't get to it. I have mine in a pot. right now it is doing just great sitting on my potting table.

-
 -
by LandOfOz on August 06, 2006 04:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestion! I seems so simple that I am embarressed that I didn't think of it! [Embarrassed] I don't have any "pots" at the moment to put them in but maybe I could get them in my 3 gallon bucket if properly prepared.... Thanks again!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by TulsaRose on August 06, 2006 10:45 PM
Sarah, be sure the container you plan to use has drainage holes as Dahlia tubers will rot in a heart beat if the soil is too moist.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by LandOfOz on August 08, 2006 04:38 AM
Thanks for the tip Rosie, I probably won't have put any holes in it ... might have to just cave and get a pot after all!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by LandOfOz on August 11, 2006 02:16 AM
I was just getting ready to take care of my poor dahlia when I noticed that it is down to just a main stem. The stem is black and soft. So, I think that it has Bacterial Stem Rot. Is this a problem that lies in the soil or just the plant? I am going to throw away the plant-roots and all because that is what I read to do. (That is correct, right?)

Thanks,
Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Dahlias| Next thread: DAHLIAS/DISEASES »
Back to Thread index