The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Please help! I need grass advice.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by murphyette on June 22, 2004 03:08 AM
How sad of a gardner am I that I can't even grow grass? [Roll Eyes]
I sprinkled lime all over about a week before we seeded. I then made my husband rototill the area. Used high quality seed, and have kept the area moist. It looks horrible. The grass is growing in patches. What did I do wrong? And how can I fix it? I want a green lawn again.
[Eek!]

Jody
by frustratedattimes on June 26, 2004 04:07 AM
Do not feel bad. It took me two tries to get it right and I still have bare spots.
I got lucky and caught the grass seed guy at Home Depot. This is what he told me:
1. What kind of grass are you planting? Should you be planting it in the spring or fall?

2. Till up the soil and rake it down.

3. Do not use powdered lime. Use the lime pellets. Do not rototill it in.

4. Put down a good quality starter fertilizer.

5. Using a spreader put out your grass seed.

6. Cover it with a light layer of wheat straw.

7. Water regularly, but after it comes up, if you water it to much it is as bad as not watering enough.

Steps 3-6 are to be down in succession basically on the same day if possible. I planted fescue and it is growing about 3 inches a week, but I also fertilize it every 6 weeks. I just put down my second application of lime last week. The grass has been cut 10 times now.

I hope this helps some.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: