The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

zucchine

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Zuc Plants| Next thread: Zucchini »
Back to Thread index
by yellow1 on June 08, 2005 06:46 AM
I have always heard how easy it is to grow zucchini but I have not been particularly successful. I have had about 10 great zuccs and I have picked off about 10 dead little vegs. Any thoughts on zucchini?

Colleen
by LMT on June 08, 2005 12:39 PM
I added zucchini this year so I'm learning.

They need a lot of water when fruiting, too much water and they don't get enough oxygen so I wonder if not enough or too much might be the problem.

I found this article on phytophthora disease. Not saying it applies but it never hurts to build a knowledge base.

Currently listening to: Vince Guaraldi Trio -- A Charlie Brown Christmas. Adult and contemporary but evocative of youth and innocence, a must own CD.
by Longy on June 08, 2005 01:14 PM
Zuchinni, as with other cucurbits, will produce both male and female flowers. The males are on a stalk and the females have a swollen embryo fruit at the base of the flower and no stalk. Maybe you are not getting full pollination on all the females. This usually results in the unfertilised embryo fruit going yellow and just dying and dropping off. Is this what's happening?
Insects will normally do the pollination for you. That's OK. Just take a male flower, remove the petals and brush it on the female stamen. (Or is that stigma?) Anyway, the innards of the female flower. This is best done each morning when the flowers are fully open. You can also eat the flowers. They are great dipped in batter and fried or just eaten fresh or as a side dressing to a salad. Make sure there isn't a bee in there though;)

-
The secret is the soil.
by tkhooper on June 08, 2005 01:17 PM
They like lots and lots of compost. Next thing I have read about other squash is that you have to take off some of the flowers. If you leave them all on it will decrease the size of the veggies you get. I'm a beginner so that's about all I can share. Wish I knew more to be of help.
by yellow1 on June 09, 2005 05:24 AM
Thanks for the great suggestions!!!

Colleen
by auntnene on June 09, 2005 08:04 PM
I was just coming here to post this same problem [Mad] I have beautiful plants that are blooming like crazy but everytime a friut starts to form, it falls off. I have it next to a butterfly bush and the bees are starting to come around. Hopefully things will improve. We also have been having really bad storms... lots of rain so I thought maybe it was too wet. I've never been one to have much luck with zucchini and have always wondered how people have so much they are bagging it up and leaving it on strangers doors [Big Grin] I guess I should put a sign in my yard that says, " Leave unwanted zucchini here". I love the stuff!

[Smile]

Please God, make me as good as my cat thinks I am!
by Amigatec on June 10, 2005 03:31 AM
I have picked 5 or 6 already this year, this is my first year for them. I didn't know they had male and female flowers or that the flowers could be eaten.

I guess I will have to keep a better watch on them.

My squash is not doing as well.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by cybercrone on June 21, 2005 10:34 AM
In situations where there is a lot of rain, I think the rain can wash the pollen away before it has had a chance to do its job.
by Longy on June 21, 2005 06:56 PM
yeah they aren't being pollenated. You can do it by hand if the bees aint doin their thing. Peel the petals off a male flower and poke it into the female flowers as they open. Usually in the morning.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Zuc Plants| Next thread: Zucchini »
Back to Thread index