The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Triming up my Hibiscus Tree to fit in the Greenhouse

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: triming my lucky bamboo?| Next thread: trimming »
Back to Thread index
by 2pugdogs on August 03, 2006 03:50 AM
I have a hibiscus tree that is close to 8 ft tall. I have it in a 20 gal. pot. It was almost to tall for my greenhouse last year, but got it in there anyway. Now this year it is really to tall. I know I have read not to prune until spring, but I really need to do something before fall. Would it be alright to trim it back now in Aug. then by doing it now it would have at lease 2 months before it would be going in the gh. My GH is 7 ft. in the middle of it. I am only wanting to trim the limbs on the top. [angel]

Linda
by gailo on August 03, 2006 09:09 AM
I am curious about this too as I also have an 8 ft hibiscus and I keep mine in my house over winter. The thing has gotten WIDE too. Last winter it had 2 full spectrum lights on it and a mister. I wasn't nearly this big last year.

gailo
by gailo on August 03, 2006 09:11 AM
Oops! IT wasn't this big last year. [tongue]

gailo
by 2pugdogs on August 03, 2006 09:50 AM
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/My2pugdogs/?action=view¤t=HibiscusTree1.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch2

Here is a picture of my Hibiscus tree that needs to be trimmed up somewhat.

Linda
by 2pugdogs on August 03, 2006 09:53 AM
I forgot to add that it has at lease 25 to 40 blooms on it everyday. I got it from Dillons last year around the middle of summer, they were having it on a close out. Got it for $5. It even bloomed through the winter, in the GH.

Linda
by gailo on August 03, 2006 10:50 AM
It is beautiful. What do you feed it?

gailo
by 2pugdogs on August 03, 2006 10:53 AM
Just Peters 20-20-20 and some EP.

Linda
by gailo on August 04, 2006 12:14 AM
Thanks, although mine has grown lots of foliage this year it hasn't had nearly the blooms it had last year.

gailo
by 2pugdogs on August 04, 2006 12:14 PM
http://community.webshots.com/user/lrbolander

I took pictures today of all my Hibiscus if any one would be interested in looking at them.

Linda
by plantingnewb on August 10, 2006 01:38 PM
What is EP?
I have a Hibiscus that my mom just gave me.
It is about 5ft tall and I can't get it to bloom.
My other two bloom all the time.
Any advice?
Tammy
by TulsaRose on August 10, 2006 10:36 PM
Linda, I enjoyed your Hibiscus Album and also took a peek at the other one. I have a weakness for Pugs and enjoyed seeing their pictures. [Wink] Are you from Winfield, Kansas? My sister-in-law is a Pug breeder and she has a number of friends in Kansas. Thought you might know of Van's Pugs.

Back to the main topic...I prune my Tropical Hibiscus in the early fall, before I bring them in to overwinter in the garage. I tried the spring pruning for several years and it made them work too hard to re-establish and get back to a normal size and the blooms were much later. I wish I had your greenhouse. [Wink]

However, one particular large beauty I kept indoors got decorated several Christmases instead of a traditional Christmas Tree, much to the chagrin of my grown children and the delight of my grands. [Big Grin] It always looked beautiful with the lights strung through it and gifts piled beneath.

I know, I have a very warped sense of humor!

Rosie z7a
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: triming my lucky bamboo?| Next thread: trimming »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: