The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help! :(

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Help??| Next thread: HELP!!!! »
Back to Thread index
by daylily77 on August 02, 2006 05:30 PM
As everyone knows who has read my posts.. I am new to gardening. Well I think I may have made a big mistake today. I just found out about deadheading recently, so today I went out and cut some of my Daylily stalks down which didn't have buds anymore. Well on one of them I saw what appeared to be little mini seed pods, so I just cut the whole stalk since I didn't see any buds. BUT I don't really know what seed pods look like when they're that small! Do the buds look like they could possibly be small seed pods? I only saw one more bud on that Daylily plant, but it was very obvious to me that it was a bud. I just really hope that I didn't cut off any buds. [Frown]

I've only seen pictures of big seed pods, so I don't know what they look like when they're small. Does anyone have a picture of a small one? Or maybe a picture of a small daylily bud? Any info at all that could help me with this would be appreciated.
by patches1414 on August 02, 2006 10:05 PM
quote:
I went out and cut some of my Daylily stalks down which didn't have buds anymore. Well on one of them I saw what appeared to be little mini seed pods, so I just cut the whole stalk since I didn't see any buds.
Don't fret, Daylily. [Wink] I'm sure you only cut off the seed pods and they were probably small because they were just forming. Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the seed pods, but to me they look like tiny, little green peppers do when they're just starting grow. [Wink]

quote:
I only saw one more bud on that Daylily plant, but it was very obvious to me that it was a bud.
You said you saw a bud and it was obvious to you it was a bud, so you do know what the buds look like and evidently these didn't look like buds, so I'm sure they were the seed pods. [Wink] Most of my daylilies have been setting seed pods for several weeks now.

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by gailo on August 03, 2006 05:12 AM
I took some pictures for you, daylily77.

-

-

gailo
by daylily77 on August 03, 2006 08:04 AM
Whew! Thank you SO much! I feel so much better now. Now I'm a lot more sure that they were seed pods!

Gailo~ I appreciate the time you took to post those pictures for me so much!
by gailo on August 03, 2006 08:58 AM
You are very welcome. It was my pleasure. [Wink]

gailo
by patches1414 on August 03, 2006 06:12 PM
Those are some awesome photos Gailo! [thumb] Thanks for sharing them. Have you ever grown the daylilies from their seeds? [dunno] I read somewhere that they will be different from the parent plant, do you know if this true? [dunno]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by gailo on August 04, 2006 12:11 AM
I read that too. I have just put my first batch of seed in the fridge. I can take them out 8/20 then plant them. I also pollinated my first one the other day. Don't know if it 'took' yet.

gailo
by patches1414 on August 04, 2006 12:52 AM
Geesh, I don't have any ssed pods left because I cut them all off, [Frown] but this sure is something to think about for next year. [thinker] If you plant them from seed, will they bloom the first year? [dunno]

-
 -
by TulsaRose on August 04, 2006 03:05 AM
Patti, they won't bloom first year from seed but they will begin the second year. It's really easier to just take divisions if you are a lazy gardener like me. lol!

Here's all the information you could possibly ever want to read about starting Daylilies from seed... Daylily Propagation and I'm sure our very own Garden Helper has some tips too. I just couldn't find it.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by patches1414 on August 04, 2006 09:15 PM
Thanks Rosie! [muggs] Actually, I really prefer to propagate by division, cuttings, and some of the other methods, but I thought this sounded interesting. [Wink] Always game to try something new. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by fritter on August 06, 2006 02:45 PM
Hi There, hope someone could help. I plant seeds for loofa vine and they did great. They have grown bigger then my cousins and had four loofa, but the squirrels ate three, the one left is 10-11" long and about 2" round. I need to know when to pick it. Things i read say when vine starts to wilt after three months of planting or before frost, well neither is happening. And it's been six months now.

fritter
by TulsaRose on August 06, 2006 10:41 PM
fritter, your question would be answered more quickly if you post it in the Fruits and Vegetables Gardening forum.

Like most gourds, Loofah can be left on the vine until first frost to allow the gourd to completely ripen and the skin to dry out. When they are still young and small, they are good to eat. [Wink]

Welcome to the forum!

Rosie z7a
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Help??| Next thread: HELP!!!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: