The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hydrangea leaves turning brown

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Hydrangea How to's ?| Next thread: hydrangea Microphylla »
Back to Thread index
by ND farm girl on August 01, 2006 04:08 PM
I have 5 new Everblooming hydrangeas. The leaves turn brown, I remove them, then new leaves grow. Why are they turning brown?

PattyM
by patches1414 on August 01, 2006 05:56 PM
ND, my neighbor had the Forever Pink Hydrangea and it did exactly the same thing for her last year. [Frown] She thought it was dying, but it came back fine this year. [thumb] Evidently, this is something that Hydrangeas tend to do. [Roll Eyes] If you're seeing new growth and leaves I wouldn't think the plants are dying.

When you say "Everblooming" does that mean you have the 'Endless Summer' Hydrangea? I've been looking real hard at that one because it sounds awesome, but I need a place to put it. [dunno]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Patty S on August 01, 2006 07:33 PM
Hi ND farm girl! [wavey]

My Hydrangeas haven't appreciated the high temps we've had this summer, at all! Are yours growing in direct sun? Last year mine sunburned because they were in the sun for half the day (& it got pretty hot then, too.) So, I moved the plant (ended up with 5 of them) to a spot where there was full shade... then my neighbor trimmed the hedge on the fence line between our yards, which exposed half of my Hydrangeas to full sun!  -

The ones that were exposed to the sun ended up sunburned (blossoms AND leaves), yet the ones that remained in the shade looked almost the same way! I'm thinking that they're reacting to the heat... (or maybe we didn't keep them watered enough. [dunno] I know that Hydrangeas need LOTS of water!)

Have you looked at the Garden Helper's page on Hydrangea cultivation requirements & tips? There is some good information there, & a link to more of the same. [thumb]

-
 -
by J o e y on August 01, 2006 11:10 PM
They do best in partial shade, and direct sun burns them fast. And mine are water hogs, it doesnt take much sun to harm them if they are in need of water as well.
by TulsaRose on August 01, 2006 11:30 PM
Water is the key along with ample shade. I give my old girl a good gulp every morning and a late afternoon shower now that it is an oven out there. She gets about 3 - 4 hrs of early morning sun.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by ND farm girl on August 02, 2006 03:45 AM
Thanks everybody - boy! I am new to this website and I love it only after 1 day of being registered! So many quick and good responses! Thanks! Yes - they are Everyblooming. The tag says that they can be in full sun, but I think because it has been such a terribly dry and hot summer, that they don't like it either. I had one that 'died' and I dug it up and kind of threw it in the corner and covered it with dirt and it started to grow and looked healthier than the ones I was caring so much for that were in the sun! So I moved them a little more into shade later in the afternoon and that seems to be helping. Thanks again everyone!

PattyM
by njoynit on August 04, 2006 10:00 AM
mines got brown dots on some of the foliage,but not all of it.I'd have to pay closer attention to see exactly HOW much sun its actually getting.Its under eves so at least after 1 pm its shaded.This one is from SIL It was at edge of house when burned.It had been about 5 ft tall& wide,but its at about 3 1/2 4 ft now.no blooms yet,but its proably settling in.at SILs it actually grew in full sun,but its roots were shaded by 4 pms& ferns& received cool air from under house.

I have forever pink.It ain't happy at all.course neither was endless summer& both are still struggleing.Nikko blue did not bloom.least my oak leaf is happy

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hydrangea How to's ?| Next thread: hydrangea Microphylla »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: