The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

hello

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Hello!| Next thread: Hello / Aloe »
Back to Thread index
by peonyboy on July 24, 2006 01:12 PM
Anybody wanna to talk about peony or dahlia?

i bileve i can fly
by tkhooper on July 25, 2006 12:51 AM
I'm always willing to talk about peonies. And I just planted my first dahlia. A yellow one. It sprouted yesterday so I'm very excited.

I have 5 peonies. One that has flowered and 4 that haven't yet. Next year will be their third year in the ground at this location so I am expecting great things.

The one that sprouted looks very much like the powderpuff peony. It was very attractive but a heavy rain caused it to shatter after about a week.

The strange thing about it is that it is a single stock. And that hasn't increased. It is the largest of all of the peonies standing about 30 inches tall. The rest are standing about 12 inches tall.

I'm using the alphalpha pellets as a fertilizer.

I would enjoy hearing about your plants.

-
 -
by buzylady on July 26, 2006 03:35 PM
I have a few peony plants that are very old. I'm always stumped as to weather I should mow them now that the blooms are way done and the plants are practicaly laying on the ground. I'd like to mow them to kind of clean up that area. Does that hurt next yrs blooms?

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by patches1414 on August 01, 2006 07:09 PM
I have several Peonies and I was always told to cut the foliage down almost to the ground in the fall. [thumb]

The leaves have an important job to do and that is to produce food that is stored in the tuberous roots over the winter. This food helps to support the plant growth in the spring and makes for a healthier plant. However, if you cut back the foliage prematurely, then the plant will make and store less food. [Frown] The longer you leave the foliage the better, but it should be cut back shortly after the first hard frost.

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hello!| Next thread: Hello / Aloe »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: