The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

morning glories

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Morning Glories| Next thread: morning glories »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 1 2
by flwrgrl on July 24, 2006 07:50 AM
Ok - I always see walls and trellis' FULL of morning glories so I decided to start a pot with a trellis. My question is...

I only get 1 or 2 blooms at a time, they close in the afternoon and then fall off...how will I ever have a trellis full of flowers???
by gardenfairy on July 24, 2006 08:33 AM
A friend of mine told me to stop watering them and they will make more flowers? I'm going to try some next spring. She has never given me any bad advice and her morning glories are GORGEOUS!!!!

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by porter57 on July 24, 2006 04:23 PM
i gotta think your gonna need multiple plants
to give you what you desire. morning glory blooms only last one day and are limited somewhat in how many blooms will show on each vine each day.
having several separate vines on the same trellis should increase the odds of having many blooms at one time. didnt know the watering thing.may have to try that.
by flycats on July 28, 2006 05:18 AM
They are called morning glories because the blooms only look good in the morning. Then they fall off.

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.
by angelblossom on July 30, 2006 03:52 AM
flowergirl where the bloom fades it creates a seed let it dry and plant again mine get fuller and thicker every year due to it's seeds dropping off onto the ground and regrowing it took 3 years for it to get this full but was worth it now I have to pull some out of the ground here and there through out the yard the birds get hold of those seeds and drop them where ever  -

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by tkhooper on July 30, 2006 04:05 AM
Nice pictured angelblossom.

-
 -
by gardenfairy on July 30, 2006 04:02 PM
Angelblossom, what do you have them growing on?

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

by Bestofour on July 30, 2006 04:41 PM
Once you plant them they never go away. I made the mistake of planting them on a trellis in the middle of my flower garden a few years ago, and now that I've removed the trellis I can't get rid of the things. I noticed the other day that they've sprouted up again and are wrapping around some of the other plants. So much for being annual.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by angelblossom on July 30, 2006 06:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by gardenfairy:
Angelblossom, what do you have them growing on?
I have it growing on an old dead tree instead of getting rid of it I used it for a trellis it is about 7 ft tall I had to get on a step ladder to take the picture at the top, as that's where it bloomed first [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [thumb]

-
 -
by comfrey on July 30, 2006 07:06 PM
Angelblossom..Is that heavenly Blue??? They are very pretty.

-
 -
by angelblossom on July 31, 2006 06:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by comfrey:
Angelblossom..Is that heavenly Blue??? They are very pretty.
[wavey] Hi Comfrey!! You know I don't know I remember the package said Blue and that all I know! here is a picture where you can see its color in different lighting... each year they look better and better  -

-
 -
by gardenfairy on July 31, 2006 07:36 AM
Nice!!! Do they get a lot of sun, I just planted some and the area gets some sun but not a lot. A friend of mine said they will grow just about anywhere and one of my neighbors has her's growing in the shade and the have flowers all over them.

Monica

-

by angelblossom on July 31, 2006 09:05 AM
gardenfairy...........Mine get mostly get all afternoon sun but it's so thick now it shades it self [Wink] I do find many sprouting up from the ground in the full shade full sun anywhere the bird drop the seeds is where they grow !!!

BTW Gardenfairy  - I like your signature [thumb] [flower]

-
 -
by gardenfairy on July 31, 2006 12:00 PM
Thanks!! I like your signature too, espically the Support our Troops, my hubby is a Marine

Monica

-

by Squirrel on July 31, 2006 01:13 PM
Thanks for sharing your morning glories!! I love them, but don't have the room in my garden. Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by loz on August 04, 2006 02:41 AM
Very cool color Diane!

Here's mine this morning....

-
by CajunMama on August 04, 2006 03:25 PM
flwrgrl,

I have had MGs for the past 4 years or so, and the only success I've had with them is when they are in the ground. I tried planting some in large pots this year, and I only got vines that grew about 5 feet long. They did bloom, but the blooms were small and few.

I have two areas with MGs mixed with moon flowers, which is an option you can try if you want all day blooms. [flower] The MGs bloom in the morning, hence the name, and the moon flowers bloom in the late afternoon and evening, again, hence the name. [thumb]

Good luck with the morning glories, they are beautiful when you do get them. [thumb] [clappy] [flower]

-
CajunMama
"Sing praises to the Lord..." Psalm 9:11
by HOLLYHOCKGIRL on August 04, 2006 03:48 PM
HELLO!

I must have planted 75 plants this year and finally got the morning glories I was after. They only bloom one at a time...but the trick is to get enough plants going so that you have successive blooms...also...watch out...don't over water and definitely don't overfeed...this promotes mostly leaf growth with little bloom...but...leaf growth is alright if you want to shade a nice feeder for the birds in summer. [Big Grin] They seem to appreciate the vine wether or not it has blooms...Hope this helps... [Big Grin]
Cheers!
HOLLYHOCKGIRL
by debbya on August 04, 2006 05:55 PM
i have been reading these posts with interest. i have tremendous leaf growth on my morning glories (and moon glows) but not ONE bloom! i dont understand what i have done incorrectly. i have grown them with lots of success before in different homes i have lived in. one of the things i loved about them was they were relatively easy to tend. i have them in containers along a fence. the fence is nicely covered with the vines, but i have no blossoms. i feed them once a month or so, and try to keep the soil moist, but havent had to worry about that this year with all the rain. any advice!? i am stumped...

debby
by HOLLYHOCKGIRL on August 04, 2006 07:44 PM
HELLO AGAIN...

I think the problem must be feeding them...I feed mine once at planting with a slow release fertilizer...that is it for the season. Also...I only water when it is necessary...every 3-4 days...or whenever it is in the triple digits temperature wise. Try not feeding so much....these are really hardy plants that like a rougher environment...I have mine in containers and they have grown over 10 feet and have produced many flowers...also...as I said...the more plants you have the more successive blooms you should get. Also... I didn't see my first blooms until the plants were over 5' feet tall...so if they are small...give them a bit more time...August is usually the showstopper month here in the Pacific Northwest. Hope this helps! [Smile]

Cheers!
HOLLYHOCKGIRL
by debbya on August 04, 2006 07:48 PM
thanks for the suggestions. i will try not to water as much, although it has been 95-100 here
for the past week! (new york city and environs).
hopefully i will see some color and soon!

have a lovely weekend...

debby
by CajunMama on August 05, 2006 02:58 AM
MGs don't bloom when they are "well cared for". If you want more blooms and less foliage, you need to have a "poorer" soil quality. I have mine in a compost blend that is high and nutrients, and the leaves have taken over. I have only about 50-100 blooms a day (my vines are massive so 50-100 is not much).

However, I do grow them near and on my house/porch and their size has worked to my benefit by creating shade. I also have the moon flowers in the mix too, so I get blooms all day. My moonflowers produce more blooms than the MGs!

Good luck!

-
CajunMama
by loz on August 05, 2006 04:51 AM
My MG's have been planted in topsoil with manure and fed a few times and they've been blooming non-stop for weeks and weeks.......I guess someone forgot to tell them they like poorer conditions! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Actually I didn't know they liked a little neglect or I wouldn't have done all that.....just glad I have some pretty blooms. [thumb]
by Bestofour on August 05, 2006 05:27 AM
I think everyone is correct. If you notice where you see morning glories, out by the fence at the road, or on mailboxes, mostly they're where they don't get much care. It's nice to have something so pretty you don't have to work at.

Loz, how do you keep yours from invading your other plants?

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by CajunMama on August 05, 2006 01:31 PM
loz,

I wish I had your luck with MGs! [Big Grin] Mine have a lot of foliage, and very few blooms, but I can't complain because it produces massive shade over my porch. It makes it bearable to sit on my porch in the heat of summer. [flower]

Bestofour

quote:
Loz, how do you keep yours from invading your other plants?
I have to cut the ends and runners off of mine that start to try to over take my lilies. I think one has traveled under the length of my porch (18 feet) and is now poking through under one of my steps. I didn't look closely yet, it's either the MGs, or my English Ivy that is right next to it. But for the vines to travel UNDER MY PORCH [nutz] that's pretty amazing.

-
CajunMama
by HOLLYHOCKGIRL on August 08, 2006 09:08 PM
HELLO DEBBYA!

I got to thinking about one of your posts earlier...it got me to thinking again....when it is 100 or over here in the temps...my morning glories do not flower well. I don't think anything but cactus does well in that heat...remember...flowering takes a lot of energy...so your plants may be too stressed trying to combat the heat to flower....wait until it cools off at night a bit...you might get more blooms then >???? Just a thought...hope it helps!!! [Smile]

Cheers!!!
HOLLYHOCKGIRL
by debbya on August 09, 2006 12:45 PM
thanks for the encouragment holly, i cant seem to figure it all out. i planted back in may/june and they grew like wildfire. i was very proud! the vines have climbed the fence i planted near and have covered a major portion of it. one day i was out for a walk and noticed a neighbor of mine with mg's around a light post on their front lawn and it had gorgeous blooms. i thought, hmmmmmm i live around the corner and i dont have a single flower. i figured i would get a few in no time. that was at least a month ago and i am still waiting! >grin<

my herbs are doing well though, i should be thankful for that! :>

debby :>
by comfrey on August 09, 2006 04:10 PM
Here are mine...I really wish I hadn't planted them...I really wanted the blue ones, but had to hurry and get something growing on my arbor...now I am proable stuck with these. Mine don't seem to be producing any seed though, so maybe I won't be stuck with them after all?????

-

-

-
 -
by Triss on August 09, 2006 04:34 PM
The seeds will come! Maybe if you clip off the pods after the flower comes off??? It looks very pretty!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by CajunMama on August 10, 2006 03:15 AM
What beautiful flowers! [flower] [clappy] [flower]

I've never had mine reseed. I let them run through their "cycle," but they've never seeded. I always have to go and buy more [tears] every year.

I'm like you--I love the blues. I had to do the same this year and wound up with a crimson - they were supposed to be purple. [Frown] [nutz]

Good luck with getting the blue you want!

-
CajunMama
by njoynit on August 10, 2006 06:09 AM
This is my blue.Its actually in too much shade.plus brothers seem to be alike when it comes to plants.......BIL has broke this one 2 times with waterhose.The 1st time he tried saying it needed to b [dunno] e marked(ummmm thats why it has WHITE LATTICE ) it USE to have carolina jasmine growing with it.He took care of that the 2nd time with the hose.
 -

only drawback....it don't stay open very long.its useually gone by 11.

blue blizzard.I like it its pretty
 -

Both are Japenese morning glories

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by penny in ontario on August 10, 2006 06:57 AM
Ohhh those are so pretty [clappy] [thumb]

-
 -

-
by comfrey on August 10, 2006 07:14 AM
Oh very pretty Njoynit!!! So what are the differences in Japenese and the more common morning glories????

-
 -
by CajunMama on August 10, 2006 02:26 PM
Love It!!! [thumb] [clappy] [flower] [clappy] [thumb]

-
CajunMama
by angelblossom on August 10, 2006 05:36 PM
[clappy] [clappy] pretty!!!!!!!!!!!

-
 -
by angelblossom on August 10, 2006 05:38 PM
quote:
Oh very pretty Njoynit!!! So what are the differences in Japenese and the more common morning glories????
I didn't even know there was a Japanese MG ? [dunno]

-
 -
by debbya on August 10, 2006 06:43 PM
oh man, those blooms are just lovely!!! [clappy]

boy am i jealous!

teheheheheh

debby [flower]
by chilady on August 11, 2006 03:00 AM
HI, I have been reading all the info on Morning Glories. I have always been told that Morning Glories don't care for the strong afternoon sun. So you should plant them in an area that would be shaded some what in the afternoon. But from what I have been reading on here I guess that isn't the case? My MG's are growing well, I have them on 4 different trellises on our front porch. The problem I am having is that the ones that get the afternoon sun. Seem to be wilting in the afternoon, and not growing as well as the ones farther down the porch. Can anyone tell me what could be wrong? Also in the fall when you get the first real freez. Do you then cut them all the way back to the ground? And wait for them to grow the next spring? Any help would be great, thanks.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/frawri/b7231077.jpg
by Triss on August 11, 2006 05:16 AM
My MG's are in full afternoon sun and shade in the mornings and are doing great in that situation. I let mine dry and then harvest the seeds before cutting the vines to the ground.

-
 -
by HOLLYHOCKGIRL on August 11, 2006 03:26 PM
HELLO AGAIN DEBBYA, [wavey]

I have multi-coloured morning glories....I love them all...but I didn't get flowers much until the middle of last month....maybe yours is still concentrating on vine maturity? Also...did you get morning glory or "bind weed"? There is a difference...and the bind weed is exceptionally slow to bloom...and as some have stated can be hard to get rid of if you don't like the vine. Also...and this may sound odd....Do you plant by the moon phases? If you plant flowers or vines in a barren sign...sometimes you get little or no flowering??? I know that sounds crazy [nutz] ...but I have seen such a difference in my garden since I started planting by the moon signs!!! Maybe give it a try??? The Old Farmer's Almanac and all the other gardening books recommend "moon" gardening....so...I figure they have forgotten more than I am ever gonna know!!! LOL [dunno] Anyways...hope this helps...??? And hope you see some flowers soon!!! [flower] [flower] [flower]

Cheers!
HOLLYHOCKGIRL
by comfrey on August 11, 2006 03:57 PM
I just seen a very pretty morning glory it is called mini bar rose and has variegated foliage, if you want to see what it looks like you can go Here And here's what it says about it: Produces Very Attractive Variegated Ivy Shaped Foliage - A Gentle Climber not Hard to Maintain - Also Makes a Great Ground Cover or Grow in Patio Boxes! Grows Best in Full Sun or Part Shade Grow as Annual ALL ZONES. I may have to have this one.

-
 -
by Triss on August 11, 2006 04:15 PM
That is a stunning plant. Love the varigated leaves!

-
 -
by gardenfairy on August 11, 2006 04:24 PM
Hey CajunMama,

I'm in the process of putting up a chain link fence in my back yard and wanted to grow morning glories on one side and my moonvines on the other. Do you just put them together and let them go? If so I'm just going to cover the fence in both.

Monica

-

by chilady on August 12, 2006 01:06 AM
I don't know if this is a silly question or not, but here goes. Are all moonvines white? When I put moonvine in google search, it only comes up with a white bloom.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/frawri/b7231077.jpg
by gardenfairy on August 12, 2006 03:45 AM
Mine are, they are big white flowers that smell WONDERFUL!!! They are bigger than morning glories.

Monica

-

by comfrey on August 12, 2006 03:49 AM
quote:
Originally posted by chilady:
I don't know if this is a silly question or not, but here goes. Are all moonvines white? When I put moonvine in google search, it only comes up with a white bloom.
In the other morning glory thread if you go to that seed site (link)...they have a purple moon flower...So I would guess that there may also be other colors.

-
 -
by TulsaRose on August 12, 2006 07:48 AM
Comfrey, in the link you referred to...is it the one to Mountain Meadow Seeds ? I've looked all over that website for the purple moonflower vine and can't it although there are Daturas they are calling Moonflowers. I love the Double Purple and the Double Yellow. I may just have to order seeds for those. [Wink]

There is a lavender Mooonflower Vine, (Ipomoea turbinata) and I found only one website selling it, Onalee's Seeds . Check all the Morning Glories, too...particularly the Japanese varieties. There are some gorgeous pictures and the prices seem very reasonable.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by njoynit on August 12, 2006 08:59 AM
JMG s are strains that have been crossed.some are mutations.some crosses have resulted in other cultivers of JMG(like asuguo,nil cornell,henko....ect.)some are bred for foliage,some for flower either size or coloring(s).

I know of 3 moonvines,the pink is actually a liliac& are two whites.one has very small black seeds& is actually perienieal.the other the regular moonvine with the big tan seeds.

I've grown moonvine with mandevilla B4.they looked nice together.I think this year I musta planted my moonvine on the wrong moon...lolIt has not bloomed at all yet& my neighbors has been blooming for 2 months...in shade at that.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by angelblossom on August 12, 2006 09:06 AM
quote:
I just seen a very pretty morning glory it is called mini bar rose and has variegated foliage, if you want to see what it looks like you can go Here And here's what it says about it: Produces Very Attractive Variegated Ivy Shaped Foliage - A Gentle Climber not Hard to Maintain - Also Makes a Great Ground Cover or Grow in Patio Boxes! Grows Best in Full Sun or Part Shade Grow as Annual ALL ZONES. I may have to have this one.
Oh my Gosh Comfrey I want to get those! I love that color and folaige!!!! thanks for posting that I booked marked it!!!

-
 -
by CajunMama on August 12, 2006 02:40 PM
gardenfairy,

quote:
I'm in the process of putting up a chain link fence in my back yard and wanted to grow morning glories on one side and my moonvines on the other. Do you just put them together and let them go? If so I'm just going to cover the fence in both.
I planted my MGs and Moonflowers alongside each other. When they began growing I just let them mingle together, and have blooms all over the entire area -- MGs in the a.m., and moonflowers in the p.m.

I do have some that are more "sectioned" having MGs in a large cluster, then moonflowers in a large cluster, and so on.

Good luck on putting them together! They're a nice complement to each other. [kissies]

-
CajunMama

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Morning Glories| Next thread: morning glories »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: