The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Don King bush :-)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by plants 'n pots on April 24, 2004 10:46 PM
My husband calls this the "Don King bush" after I cut off ALL the dead branches thanks to deer browsing and drool! It is in the front corner of our house. There isn't much left of the bush now, and he wants to get rid of it, but I thought I'd ask for suggestions here?
Anyone have any ideas how to make this area more presentable?

To the left of the bush is a new heart trellis that I've put my 2 year old clematis on - it seems very happy there. I planted a small hosta in front of the clematis to keep the roots in the shade.

In the background of the picture, you can see more of the arbivitae "topiary" hedge - again, thanks to the grazing deer! [Mad]

Don King bush

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by weezie13 on April 25, 2004 07:55 AM
Hi Lynne,
My first thought when I saw it,
was to get a HUGE piece of fabric
and cover the bottom and make it
look like an ice cream cone!!!!

Just kidding!!!

How sunny is it there????????

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Chrissy on April 25, 2004 03:12 PM
You have a pretty yard Lynne. The bush does look like don king lol:) Ya know for years I have told my husband I wish we lived in an area where we could see deer now & then in our yard...we have none here in town...but after seeing all of the damage they cause I guess it's best to go visit deer at the nature center & be happy I haven't got them. I had no idea they ate plants right up to the door of your homes.

-
 -
z5b
by plants 'n pots on April 25, 2004 04:25 PM
Weezie... you are toooooo funny!
Wouldn't that be a kick if I actually DID wrap it up to look like a cone!!! [Big Grin]

Thanks, Chrissy! You know, this is only the corner of the front ... you should see what they did to the 2 smaller evergreens on either side of my front door! [Eek!] [Mad] [Mad] They have even walked right up the front steps to eat some flowers in pots there!!! [Frown]

I'm off to visit a cousin in Connecticut where they have a fantastic HUGE nursery - Hollandia.
I'll see what they can suggest for me - they have tons of deer there also!
I can't wait to go there - we were there for about 10 minutes last month in pouring rain - they really weren't stocked up for the spring yet - the grand opening was 2 days after I was there! [dunno] We won't have too much time today either, but it will give me incentive to go back again, and again...

Hollandia nursery

Oooops - forgot to address Weezie's question - it gets early morning sun there in the summer after the huge red maple fills in, in late spring. When the leaves are down it gets full day's sun.

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 25, 2004 04:46 PM
Got another question,
or two!!!

Are you absolutely lovin' that plant,
would not taking it out and putting an
ornamental tree they don't eat in there instead???

How big is your property line???
How do you have it??
ie; open, all the way around,
is there woods behind your house,
anything that gives a line to your property line??
Or do they come in from the front yard???

I just had another idea, find a vine that's a creeper or climber, and plant it at the base of it, and see if it will climb up the brown stems,
probably would have to keep it trimmed from climbing too much up on top and covering the top of the bushe....

Weezie

Yeah, I like the idea of a snow cone....
hehehe....find a little kids' red bouncy ball
and put it at the top, get a big piece of bamboo
and stick it out the top like a straw!!!!
Too funny!!!! What would the neighbor's say?????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by plants 'n pots on April 27, 2004 03:02 PM
quote:
How big is your property line???
How do you have it??
ie; open, all the way around,
is there woods behind your house,
anything that gives a line to your property line??
Or do they come in from the front yard???

Weezie... we have 3/4 acre that is open on all sides except for the rock wall at the bottom of the hill in the back, which doesn't really matter because the deer walk the rock wall all the time. On one side of the property about 1/2 way down is the "topiary" arbovitae hedge... They come in on all sides, walk all around, right up to the front door, etc...

I'm not sooo attached to the bush, just thought if I could save it, I'd try. I was also considering a vine growing up, but am not sure which one, or how funky that might look - good suggestion, though...

My daughter laughed at your idea of an ice cream cone! [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Barb H. on April 27, 2004 10:16 PM
Lynne,

What about some really colorful morning glory vines wrapping around that bush? I think you need something with height there.

I've had my eye on that really, really tall Allium....after i see how the garden fills in this summer i might plan on getting some. I think it looks really cool and different, at least around here it is!

Barb

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: