The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Portulaca/Moss Rose problems - help, please

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: portulaca flowers.| Next thread: Posionous Plants... »
Back to Thread index
by lubbins83 on July 21, 2006 11:54 AM
Big problems here!
My portulaca are turning pale, colorless, white headed with cotton - mostly just where the flower should be blooming from, so I've obviously lost blooms because of this mystery problem.
Leaves/foliage keep growing, so I cut them down to that level, to try and curb the dying part from getting the nutrients, but then once I cut those off, the other tops get hairy white.
They aren't like spider webs either - they're really like wigs/hairy. There is minimal whiteness running down the stems - very minimal.
I haven't seen ANY of those bugs that I've seen online yet. I spent $200 on these flowers like two months ago, and this is some kind of investment if I can't get them healthy again, know what I mean?!
Plus there are marigolds parked right next door, and they don't have any of they same damage at all. None of it, so I don't know what's the deal.
I don't know how to post a picture or I would, they look ragged though. Trust me! Thanks, Ive about exhausted my paths to finding out what the heck this is, thanks again!
by loz on July 21, 2006 12:01 PM
Yep, often Portulacas get like that. Mine usually do that towards the end of the growing season as they are dying...but that usually isn't until late august/early september.

What zone are you in, and how often do you water?

I know just what you're talking about though...I'm a portulaca lover and it's happened to me too--but never this early in the summer.
by lubbins83 on July 21, 2006 12:09 PM
What's the temperature where you are by mid august - when they start to go?
Is the temp reaching 110 or higher here the cause of them dying earlier than yours do?
Maybe.....
by loz on July 21, 2006 12:14 PM
Hmmmm, it's usually in the 90's here most of August.... [dunno]

They are heat resitant plants actually since they are succulents....drought tolerant.

Maybe you are over watering them???? They like it hot and dry.....I water mine here every 2 days....

I bought some at Walmart in the spring and they must've been a bad batch because they withered away and died....they never even looked right to begin with but I was wanting some more so bad I bought them anyway. [Razz]

Maybe the roots haven't been able to spread good.....is your soil clayish?
by lubbins83 on July 21, 2006 12:18 PM
Maybe...I don't know, but I'm pretty sure they're gonners, Thanks for trying anyway, if anyone else knows too, please let me in on your info. Thanks
by loz on July 21, 2006 01:23 PM
You might want to give them a shot of miracle grow.....just to see what happens, it can't hurt them I doubt--not if they are so far gone.
by Tonya on July 21, 2006 05:11 PM
Some of my portulaca have the "cotton top" thing you are talking about, But if I just water and "dead-head" they usually perk back up. My normal ones don't do it, just the "mini" ones...I can't remember the proper name for them...Best of luck to you, tho! If you need seeds...let me know!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by tkhooper on July 22, 2006 01:06 AM
Mine do that too. And I took mine inside last fall and kept them all winter in the house and they continued to bloom. They did get leggy though. I'm new enough to gardening that I have a hard time pruning. But if you prune well they will be healthier so I think you are on the right track.

-
 -
by lubbins83 on July 24, 2006 09:31 AM
Someone said that they had gone to seed now....what does that mean, should I rip them out now, because they're going to seed?, because that means that they're dying for the season?
What should I be doing now?
Thanks
by tkhooper on July 24, 2006 10:31 AM
My portulaca create seed pods after then bloom everytime they bloom so that sounds weird to me. But I'm no expert. I wouldn't rip them out. I'd just prune them back. They really will come back even better than ever.

-
 -
by lubbins83 on July 25, 2006 06:38 AM
They still bud again after the first flower comes off....they'll bud right into the white hairy stuff! Weird huh?
But eventually, the white stuff seems to choke the life out of them, or something.
They're starting to look a little more red on the base, but still just nasty on top....it's as embarrasing garden, let me tell you.
I just wish that there was a answer, you know, just one single problem, and answer to this hapening in my garden, oh well, thanks...any more help will be welcome...bye.
by loz on July 25, 2006 07:00 AM
Hmmm, that is strange--I mean they shouldn't be going to seed yet.....it's still early in the summer. I never deadhead mine or cut them back because the seed pods get blown off on their own....but I'm not sure what the problem is if you've cut them back hard and the white is still coming back.
by Tonya on July 25, 2006 07:39 AM
Mine do that when they are hungry for water....It seems to clear up if I water thoroughly a couple times... [dunno] It's worth a shot...

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by loz on July 25, 2006 07:46 AM
If the stems get kind of pale and yellowish though it can often mean overwatering....the don't need much water since they are succulents.

I guess at this point anything is worth a shot huh? [Big Grin] [thumb]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: portulaca flowers.| Next thread: Posionous Plants... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: