The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Lupines over 5 feet tall!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by justabloomer on July 19, 2006 05:18 PM
Hi. New here with a question. I have several lupines that are over five feet tall. I have NEVER seen lupines this tall and am wondering if anyone else has ever grown them like this. I planted them by seed in a wildflower mixture last year. They didn't bloom last year but they stayed green and grew all winter (which are mild here). They bloomed all spring and were absolutely beautiful!

Recently, two of my "bushes" began to wilt even though I keep them moist (not wet) and free of aphids. I know that it isn't the heat because I have three others that aren't bothered. The earwigs are really thick this year, but I try to control them and have not really noticed them on the lupines. Anyway, I couldn't save the two plants and am afraid that the others are going to be affected and I don't want to lose all of them. Help!

Charley
by TulsaRose on July 19, 2006 10:47 PM
Hi Charley...welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have Lupines on steroids. [Big Grin] Could you post a couple of pictures, particularly of the "sick" plants. They might help someone ID what is going on. I've never had the pleasure of growing Lupine but after doing some Googling, I may give it a shot. I had always been told our summers were too hot for them to survive.

Post back to this thread with pictures if you can.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by dodge on July 20, 2006 01:49 PM
justabloomer..

Lupines are just a spring plant.. They bloom and die off quite quickly, and come back with new foilage , soon.....Mine got reall ugly and I clipped them back.. They are looking nicely now.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by justabloomer on July 22, 2006 07:56 AM
Hey, TulsaRose, my digital camera is having problems but I do want to post pictures and will as soon as I can.

Dodge: I've seen lupine in the wild but have never grown any in my garden. Mine bloomed into late June and then stopped. I understand that they will die back, but I had two plants actually die. Unfortunately, I have no photos of them to show. Thanks for the help.

Charley
by weezie13 on July 22, 2006 08:36 AM
Justabloomer/Charley..
I'll be looking forward to pictures..
(I Love Lupines, but have never seen one 5 ft tall, they must look awesome)

And yes, pictures help immensely with "bugs or being sick"

Do you have any grub/beetle problem?"

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by justabloomer on July 22, 2006 06:14 PM
As requested...pictures of my lupines on steroids.

My oldest daughter is 5'11" and my other daughter in the pictures (the blondie) is 4'0", just to give you some reference.
 -

-

-

Not lupine-related picture, but kind of cute, anyhow. These are my boy/girl planters that my wife got for me.
 -
by weezie13 on July 23, 2006 04:25 AM
Gosh, everyyyyyyy things cute in those picturs..
The kids, the flowers, the garden decorations [thumb] [flower] ...

That lupine is really on steriods..
What kind of soil is it???
Or have you fertilized them??

*and those planters are soooooooo neat*

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by angelblossom on July 23, 2006 06:04 AM
Wow !!that is awesome!!! I have tried and tried to grow lupines from seed they get about 5" high then die off [tears] this is my third attempt!! they are now 5" high again and look sickly Again!!! What is happening with them???
I think maybe I guess have to referance your picture when I want to enjoy Lupines [thumb]

How cute is the boy and girl planter [Big Grin] [Cool]

Nice flower garden area !! verrrrry Nice!!!!

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by justabloomer on July 23, 2006 12:41 PM
Thanks weezie! To answer your questions, I fertilized them in the spring with ferti-lome flower grower and have not fed them since. The soil is 12 inches of top soil and mulch with hard packed clay underneath. Honestly, I have no idea why they have grown so big. But, I like it!

I tried growing some from seeds this year, also, but, they never grew after putting them in the ground. I lost most of them and the ones that remain are struggling. I will let the tall ones I have reseed themselves and see what I get next year.

Charley

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: