The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

verbena flowers - help!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Venus FT| Next thread: Vermiculture »
Back to Thread index
by mangowife on July 18, 2006 09:26 AM
I removed some overgrown ferns from a small patch in my front yard, laid down some SuperSoil, and planted 6 verbena flowering plants in the area.

They seemed to do just fine for a few days, but then they started not looking so good... flower buds fell off. At first I wasn't sure if they were getting too much or too little water, but it's been pretty hot here lately (I live near San Francisco), and the leaves have become 'cruchy' to the touch. I've been watering them every morning. However, it's been about a week now (and it's still very hot), and they don't look any better.

Also, a few of the plants seem to have 'sticky' stuff on them, as if some snails have been crawling on them. Should I be worried about this?

One more thing - I planted another 4 verbenas into a pretty small container (the 4 plants were leftover from the 2 6-packs I bought), and they seem to be doing great. The container is right next to the verbenas in the ground, so I'm guessing they're getting the same amount of sun, but container is doing much better than the planted ones.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
by angelblossom on July 18, 2006 10:58 AM
Mangowife Thanks for posting this question although I can't help you- sorry, I just planted some myself and this is my first experience with them. It's been hot here as well 100-103 for past 2 weeks and no relief in site. Mine are near a east facing fence and only gets morning sun and a little dappled sun untill around 3 the rest of the day is shade and they seems to be happy maybe the shading helps [dunno]
I couldn't tell you about the sticky stuff does it resemble slug trails??

I'm sure someone will be along to help you soon,, [clappy] [thumb]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by mangowife on July 18, 2006 11:36 AM
Good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this... :-)

Yes, the sticky stuff resembles slug/snail trails...
by angelblossom on July 18, 2006 11:46 AM
Someone will be around soon mangow' then we'll both get answers! [Wink]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by mangowife on July 18, 2006 12:24 PM
Doing some more reading... perhaps I should add some mulch? Particularly because it's been so hot lately - the mulch may help to keep moisture in?
by loz on July 18, 2006 12:37 PM
Don't feel bad, mine and moms are crunchy-ish too....I just keep picking that part off, and they keep flowering.

Mine are stickyish too, I think they are just that way. [dunno]
by RugbyHukr on July 18, 2006 01:49 PM
too much water.

the container plants should dry out faster, having limited soil. since they are doing better, the in-ground plants must be too wet.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by loz on July 18, 2006 01:57 PM
I think Verbena are tricky myself....I have some in pots and in the ground and they are both doing the same thing...... [dunno]
by mangowife on July 19, 2006 02:08 PM
Thanks for your input, RugbyHukr. I will stop watering the plants for a bit to see how they're doing. I did notice that the soil in the container is much more moist than the ones in the ground, though. Oh well, we'll see.

I also did some online research on caring for verbenas. One site said, "Add organic matter to the soil and pinch out the tips of young plants."

Does the 'organic matter' refer to organic mulch, or something else that I need to mix into the soil?

And what does 'pinch out the tips' mean?

Obviously, I'm new to gardening! Trying to find out if I have a green or black thumb... so far it's not looking too good...

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Venus FT| Next thread: Vermiculture »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: