The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

is it too late to plant seeds ??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: is it too late??| Next thread: Is It Toxic???? »
Back to Thread index
by angelblossom on July 16, 2006 06:04 AM
I recieved all these seeds.. and really would like to get them going can someone tell , if it's too late in the season and /Or too hot to get them going here??

4'oclocks
wisteria
pink mexican petunia
zinnias
datura

or too late to plant amaryillis bulbs with green stock still on
or for that matter any bulb with green stock?

Thanks sooooo Much!

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by tkhooper on July 16, 2006 06:23 AM
the zinnias shouldn't be any problem at all. They only take 5 to 10 days to sprout. Just put them somewhere you'll remember to keep them moist until they sprout. I've got 4 containers of zinnia in my apartment that I just planted. Because this year I want to make sure the seeds I send out will sprout so from each seedhead I'm taking 3 seeds and trying to sprout them. And only those that sprout are going on the seed exchange list. Do I sound determined?

I also have some columbine sprouting right now after being in the refrigerator for six weeks. And some miniature rose seeds that just came out of the refrigerator where they were for 7 days experiencing their chill period lol.

Although I can't say for sure I would probably wait 6 to 8 weeks before trying to grow the amaryillis. Keeping them in a cool dark place during that time. But that's just me. If the person who sent them to you says that they have already had their rest then I would put them in a pot just slightly larger than the bulb and start growing them.

Isn't it exciting.

I don't know about your other seeds. But someone will.

-
 -
by angelblossom on July 16, 2006 06:28 AM
right now the bulbs are in the refridg' wrapped in newpaper because I didn't know what to do with them Looks like they were sent right from the ground I'll PM her and ask...
thanks TK

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by dodge on July 17, 2006 03:27 PM
tk

what give me an idea of which seeds you refrigerate......List

I am not up on that ..

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by tkhooper on July 18, 2006 02:51 AM
you know someone posted that list somewhere last year. I'm thinking it was either in seed exchange or maybe garden chat. I don't really remember. I wonder what kind of search we would have to do to find that post.

It sure would be a good one to have but I don't think I saved it to my personal files. But I'll have a look as soon as I come in from outside. I want to try and get a picture of my succulent that is in bud.

-
 -
by netwiz on July 18, 2006 02:54 AM
I would be interested in a list of seeds to refrigerate as well. I'm hoping to start the plants for my new beds in late winter and transplant in the spring. So far I've only found info on random plants here and there. Thanks!

Joanne
by netwiz on July 18, 2006 02:55 AM
We must have been posting at the same time Tk! I'll do a search and see if I can come up with the list.

Joanne
by tkhooper on July 18, 2006 03:33 AM
It's in the seed exchange under saving seeds. I think I will reprint it in our new plant propogation area. It's still not an exhaustive list so there is plenty of room to add to it.

-
 -
by netwiz on July 18, 2006 05:38 AM
Thanks Tk, I did a search and didn't find it. Searching on the web didn't give me very good results either. So far I've had to look each plant up individually to see what the seed needs were. I'm heading right over to check out the list!

Joanne
by gardenfairy on July 18, 2006 09:03 PM
I just got a white datura, a friend of mine told me that she planted her's in August last year and they came up and bloomed. I just planted some of my seeds, I will keep you posted.

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by dodge on July 19, 2006 01:22 AM
White daturas will come back yearly from seeds in our zone 5....
Mine did......

Netwiz............What i think of doing , here in Pennsylvania....Comes winter, put all my seeds into a plastic box ..Like a shoe box, and put them out in the unheated garage......Then about february dig them out and you got refrigerating..........

My brother puts his all in the frig. I love his version.......He says"Then they think it is Spring" ha ha correct.

dodge [thumb]

-
 -
by netwiz on July 19, 2006 01:44 AM
Thanks Dodge, great idea about the garage. It would also keep my little ones from getting curious about the neat stuff in the fridge.

Joanne
by dodge on July 19, 2006 02:53 AM
netwiz,

Joanne ,
glad to help............Another advantage.. The rodents cant chew thru the plastic boxes...
Actually I am using an old hard plastic cosmetic case for mine...ha ha.

We don't have to get fancy.

Dodge

barb

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: is it too late??| Next thread: Is It Toxic???? »
Back to Thread index