The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

New Rockgarden

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: New resource| Next thread: New Rose !!! »
Back to Thread index
by shamarian on March 21, 2004 02:44 AM
I want to put in another rock garden and it will be located around a very tall ash tree. I know that it is going to need to be at least couple of feet higher than the ground now and I know that I cannot have soil that deep around the trunk or it will kill my tree eventually. I was hoping I could cut a large plastic barrel the height I want and slit it and slip it around the trunk and then hide it with rocks on the top, then filling the soil on the outside of the barrel. My question is does the trunk need more air than that or sunshine, or could it probably get rotten just as if I piled the soil around it? I hope soneone could help me out with this question or suggest another method. I do need to raise the ground in that whole area and I can't just pile rocks around the base of the tree, the soil would eventually seep in to it. [dunno]

I am old, and repotting wont help!
by rue anemone on March 21, 2004 08:54 PM
Adding just a few inches of soil around a tree can kill it. There needs to be space between the trunk and the raised bed.

I` not sure how much distance there needs to be. Maybe 1 1/2 to 2 feet?

-
 -
by Newt on March 23, 2004 09:54 AM
Hi Shamarian,
I agree with Rue. If you raise the level of the soil even a few inches, you will kill your tree over time or the roots will rise to the surface looking for oxygen. Most tree roots only go down about 18" and need the oxygen. Here's a site that has some helpful info.
http://www.treehelp.com/howto/howto-prevent-construction-damage.asp

Here's one that explains how to do a tree well.
http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/hortcult/treeshru/treewells.htm

This one shows a picture of a well.
http://www.selecticd.com/pages/sws_gallery_image_02.html

Hope this helps,
Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
by Newt on March 23, 2004 09:57 AM
oops, this one might be helpful too.

Tree Well how to

Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
by shamarian on March 25, 2004 03:52 AM
Newt, thank you for all that good information, I now have a pretty good plan on how I am going to do this without killing my tree.

I am old, and repotting wont help!
by Newt on March 25, 2004 04:09 AM
Shamarin, you're so very welcome. Hope you can still get your garden!

Newt

by papito on March 25, 2004 03:39 PM
This might help also.

Rock Garden under Ash Tree

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: New resource| Next thread: New Rose !!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: