The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Strawberries & birds!!!!!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: strawberries| Next thread: strawberries & when to plant. . . »
Back to Thread index
by 4Ruddy on April 22, 2005 08:11 PM
I need some ideas quick! My strawberry bed looks wonderful this year, had my first red berry day before yesterday....BUT....the birds are eating them as quick as they come on. I have a million green berries and would really like to have some for US. I tried putting the wind whirly things in there and last year tried the tin pan thing in the tomato bed to keep the birds from pecking a hole in every stinkin tomato. There are robins, blue jays and mocking birds. I love the birds...but didn't plant the garden just for them! Is there anything I can do?

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by 4Ruddy on April 22, 2005 08:14 PM
OOPS!!! Probably should have put this in the plant pest & problem forum.... [dunno] [nutz] [dunno]

-
 -

by obywan59 on April 22, 2005 08:24 PM
What about bird netting? I think Lowes or Wal-Mart has it. If you lay it right on the plants, the birds will probably still be able to reach some of them, but you would save a lot.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by phoenix on April 22, 2005 08:52 PM
how about a scarecrow? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] just kidding(i'm sorry going [nutz] at work)

what about animal fur or a realistic animal statue? the netting is a great idea maybe if you double it up so the "holes" are not as big.

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by noneofyourbusiness on April 23, 2005 12:47 AM
The bird netting works great. Hang it above the plants, and the birds will stay away. I have the same problem if I don't use it.
by 4Ruddy on April 23, 2005 01:21 AM
Aha...bird netting. I knew there must be SOMETHING! A friend came by and looked and he suggested chicken wire...but I don't really want to "cage" my beds in...I can live with the netting. Hope they have it at our Wal-Mart...haven't ever seen it, but then again...didn't know there was such a thing! Thanks guys! [Cool]

-
 -

by duckie on April 23, 2005 01:36 AM
[Wink] I use fake snakes in my strawberry bed.Some of them I bought at the store,and some are just old hoses.

After the strawberries are finished, I move them over to the raspberry patch.

About those holes in your tomatoes.That happened to me last year.I think maybe the birds just got thirsty.
I put an old crockpot full of water by the tomatoes and they stopped pecking them.

-
 -
by Belleoftheball on April 24, 2005 06:41 PM
Definitely look at netting. I've used the fake snake thing and that helps. I've also read that if you set up a bird feeding and entertainment area far from the garden that they really will head for the birdseed. The feeders here are actually NEAR the garden.

It doesn't matter though, because my miniature schnauzer has been eating my strawberries before the birds can get to them. When he was a puppy the vet told me to give him fruit and vegetables instead of dog biscuits for treats. Now he eats the beans, strawberries, even turnip and onion tops out of the garden.

Belle

-
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
by 4Ruddy on April 25, 2005 09:53 AM
hey Duckie....I never thought of putting water near the garden for the birds! I thought they were actually eating the mators becuse they are so yummy! [nutz]

quote:
It doesn't matter though, because my miniature schnauzer has been eating my strawberries before the birds can get to them.
That is SOOO funny...sounds like something that Afrgrey's critters would do! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: strawberries| Next thread: strawberries & when to plant. . . »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: