The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

seed packets

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: seed packet templates| Next thread: seed problems »
Back to Thread index
by joliemere on April 20, 2005 08:10 PM
I have many seed packets left over from last year - the packets all say "packed for 2004" season. Can I still use them or are they really only for that one season? Is this just a way for the companies to make more money?!
Thanks!
by obywan59 on April 20, 2005 08:21 PM
I think it's just to give you an idea how old the seeds are. Most seeds should be good for several years. Larger seeds like corn and beans tend to last longer than a lot of smaller seeds. Onions don't last long at all at room temperature. I keep my onion seeds in the refrigerator along with other smaller seeds that don't germinate well in hot weather like lettuce, carrots, cabbage etc.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Amigatec on April 21, 2005 12:17 AM
I used Turnip Green, Spinach, and Corn seed from last year and it is up and doing good.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by phoenix on April 21, 2005 12:28 AM
i have "plantlings" from seed from three years ago [grin]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by Amigatec on April 21, 2005 03:01 AM
Next year I plan to buy enough seed to be able to plant twice and still have enough to plant again in the spring before the seeds for in the store.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by Jiffymouse on April 22, 2005 04:54 AM
i have plants coming up from seeds marked 2000, 2003, and 2004. not a problem at all.
by PAR_Gardener on April 23, 2005 07:38 AM
Actually, not all companies mark their seeds as "packaged for year ####", which I found to be really annoying since I buy so much seed. Most companies do it now so you know how old the seed is. Just to make sure, I write the year I purchased the seeed on the top front of the packet so I don't have to look for it.

Expect germination rates to drop after as seeds get older. I take pretty good notes when I start from seed, and I got 1 seed out of 6 to sprout from a packet of seed older than 1998. I've got other seeds that are only from 2000 that didn't sprout at all, so it's time to throw those away.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by Belleoftheball on April 24, 2005 05:45 PM
Well, here's my old seed story.

I'm on a farm in upstate South Carolina. It's Momma's farm. Momma is my little southern mother who is as country as the day is long. She's also a depression child and won't throw a thing away. I tell everyone that the farm house is a museum. It truely is. Yesterday I found a wealth of depression glass on the plant table where Momma is rooting and sprouting who knows what. Momma still has in her possession everything that she has ever bought, or that anyone has ever given her, that isn't edible. Including seeds, as it turned out.

While I was traveling last year, I decided to come home for a 2 week stay to check on Momma. That was back in November. LOL. Momma and I had a lot of catching up to do. I wanted to do something nice for her. So I promised to go through her seeds and make her a proper garden plot.

That's where the seed story really begins. As it turns out, Momma had over 200 packages of seeds. Two hundred. They ranged in age from 1975 to 2004. No lie.

I went to the Martha Stewart web site and found instructions for checking seeds to see if they are too old to germinate. You take 10 seeds from the packet, and try to make them germinate. The site suggested putting them in a wet paper towel. This is your sample population. Whatever percentage of seeds germinate indicate the percentage that will germinate in the rest of the package. If you get 3 seeds to germinate, then 30% of the seeds in the package will probably sprout.

So I started testing seeds. Pretty soon I had seeds in every tin pie pan, piece of precious depression glass, mason jar, and dessert plate in the whole house. And there were still more 10, 20 and 30 year old seeds. I almost laughed myself to death.

So, I just gave up and started to sow. One 40 x 60 feet vegetable garden, 20 x 20 feet herb garden, 20 x 30 feet cutting flower garden, and 10 x 30 feet experimental garden later, all the seeds are sown, except the cool weather/ fall crop seeds.

And, they're sprouting like mad. I even got sprouts from a few of the 20 - 30 year old seeds. The older the seed, the thicker I sowed them because I knew they wouldn't sprout, or if they did - there would just be a few that had survived.

What I learned is that you can use old seeds, just don't expect too much. You'll be pleasantly surprised when you get a few sprouts. I also learned not to make rash promises to Momma.

Belle

-
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
by Jiffymouse on April 25, 2005 02:09 AM
that is priceless belle... i'll have to send this one to my kids...
by Belleoftheball on April 29, 2005 07:28 PM
Thanks, Jiffymouse. LOL. The Momma stories abound.

Belle

-
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
by tkhooper on April 29, 2005 07:35 PM
Don't let your Momma tell my dad about the sucess you had with some of the old seeds. My brothers would kill me. Dad's a packrat and the boys are always trying to get him to change. lol

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: seed packet templates| Next thread: seed problems »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: