The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Has anyone ever tried this easy way to start a flower bed?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by rue anemone on February 29, 2004 12:26 AM
Place 12 sheets thick of newspaper down on top of the area where you want your bed. Cover whith mulch. In aboiut 6 weeks you can plant.

I did this over a grass and it worked great!!

-
 -
by write2rellie on February 29, 2004 01:36 AM
rue, thamks for the tip. As i plan to transform my yard little by little, the idea of not having to dig up grass sounds great. How much mulch do you need? (like how deep?)
Will the grass eventually come back up after the newspaper deteriorates?
Will the roots of the new plants be limited to the depth of the mulch above the newspaper?
thanks! [wayey]

-
rellie
by catlover on February 29, 2004 04:30 AM
Just word of warning....if you have Burmuda grass......don't even attempt! It will make it even healthier. [Frown]

It would be great with any other type grass! [thumb]

-
 -
 -
by rue anemone on February 29, 2004 04:11 PM
LOL really catlover OH MY GOODNESS!

Just normal depth for the mulch and if you want a raised bed you could put topsoil on the newspaper if you wanted.

The newspaper breaks down. If you can`t wait to dig into the new bed you can cut holes through the paper to place your plants.

OK I confess that is what I did. I couldn`t wait past 2 weeks to start planting!!

-
 -
by write2rellie on March 05, 2004 06:58 AM
thanks guys,
i knew I had asked a question but couldn't remember the title of this post and so couldn't find it for a couple days. [nutz]

i'm not sure what type of grass I have... will have to investigate before proceeding... hmmm.

-
rellie
by papito on March 05, 2004 05:01 PM
Rellie,

Mulches are usually 2" to 3" deep.

Catlover,

I know you have been having a lot of problems with bermuda grass. I read an article, just couldn't remember where or when (the grey matter is on vacation again)...but apparently, the propane torch (propane torches used for soldering copper pipes are sold/available at hardware stores) can burn the grass down to the roots.

I haven't tried it because I usually remove what little bermuda grass there is in the yard by hand pulling.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by write2rellie on March 06, 2004 06:11 AM
thanks papito. i was to embarrased to ask what "normal" mulch depth was. [Embarrassed]

-
rellie
by rue anemone on March 06, 2004 03:44 PM
papito

That is exactly how I weed!! I use no chemical in my entire garden, but I do have my handy torch.

I have alot of brick walks and this torch works wonders on even the hardiest of the wweds. If it dosen`t die on the first pass it is so easy to fire up the torch and kill those baddies.

Remember to shoo any good bugs or plants away from the area.

LOL! This is my only outlet of violence. Burning those weeds. Die weeds die!

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: