The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

help with double impatiens

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Sarabeaners on July 10, 2006 04:34 PM
This is my first summer of planting flowers as I am a new home owner. I planted some double impatiens under my Japanese Maple as I was told that the flowers love the shade. My flowers have been continuously growing new buds, but the outer petals look crusty or dried out, while the insides are bright and healthy. The plant as a whole looks like its drooping- all the flowers point downward to the ground. I've given them Miracle grow but that didn't seem to help any. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?
by tkhooper on July 11, 2006 02:03 AM
they do droop in the heat of the day. Also the double impatiens blossoms are very heavy for the stem that supports them. Try to keep them moist and mulch around them to help keep the moisture in place.

The japanese maple also may not be giving enough shade.

-
 -
by dodge on July 12, 2006 01:46 PM
I plant mine on the north and east side of the house an they do great.. Half a day sun only.The even grew good indoors in the winter.

dodge [scaredy]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Apprentice Gardener on July 16, 2006 06:45 AM
Woo!! Hoo!! A topic that I have a little knowledge on and am able to give a bit of help possibly......I believe that tkhooper gave very good advise...Double impatients with their lovely rose-like blooms are particularly dissheartened of the heavy heat and need much moisture to help them over what they see as the oppessive temperature. But keep them moist, possibly with a soaker hose and they will fill out an really enhnce and set off the beauty of your Japaese Maple. I hope this helps and I rally think once they fill in full you'll enjoy the visual that you get with the combination that you chose.
by buzylady on July 16, 2006 04:13 PM
I also have some doubles. They are beautiful. I have two diff. colors and in pots. They do need alot of water(especially mine cause they're in pots). I pinch the blooms off that have lost most of their vibrancy. One of mine quit blooming so I cut it back just a little. It came back just as pretty and fast. They are doing great with just a little of sun in the morning.

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by dodge on July 17, 2006 02:42 AM
buzylady,

What colors do you have?????? I just started pink from seed........Inch tall......
Maybe we can trade for something I have.

Id rather have another color.

dodge........ [kitty]

-
 -
by buzylady on July 17, 2006 03:45 AM
I have pink and a red. Do they root easily? Do you save them for next yr?

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by dodge on July 17, 2006 08:10 AM
busylady........

yes on both questions...

I used to have orange, forgot to take any in.
I put them inside for winter and make more cuttings while they are inside ......

Yes they are easy to root in water .. Are your large enough to sneak some cutting?
What you do, is cut them below the joint where the leaves come out. That is where the roots come out of.....I cut them and put them in a glass of water or any container......Root like nuts ..I do have some regular one but want doubles.
I have lots of seeds and plants I can share .
Your wont believe how many..
If your intrested , send me your email address and I can show you some.

dodge

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: